Subject: Q: No max/ minMax length of anything?

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:04:37 -0500

hi

I'm looking to do some boundary testing against Netconf and it seems
there isn't any guidance on the length of anything. Is this right? I
know we have discussed this in terms of total message length, but is it
also fair to say that the url one plugs into xmlns can be as long as you
like? Other data is what you feel like implementing as well?

While I agree with the principle of not constraining the
implementations, I have suddenly realized it means more work for me with
this particular task.  If people have thoughts on what would be
considered 'best practice' for this, I'd love to hear.

Thanks,

Sharon Chisholm
Nortel 
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:50:38 -0800

>considered 'best practice' for this, I'd love to hear.

We decided (and nobody objected) that the message-id attribute is 
maxLength="4095".
Other than that, all data types are constrained AFAIK.  We don't control 
the URL limits.

>Canada

Andy

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:22:53 +0100 (CET)

> Other than that, all data types are constrained AFAIK.  We don't control 

There are a few which aren't constrained:

    confirm-timeout  is a positiveInteger (no upper bound)  (could e.g.
                          have been unsignedInt)
    error-app-tag  is a (unbounded) xs:string
    error-path  is a (unbounded) xs:string
    error-message  is a (unbounded) xs:string

Then there is the rule that any attribute in the <rpc> element must be
copied to the <rpc-reply>.

Apart from that there is normal XML-stuff; the url length you
mentioned, the number of xmlns attributes, length of element and
attribute names etc.  (A clever implementation can handle these
anyway).

/martin