Subject: [Fwd: Re: edit-config operation]

From: Cridlig Vincent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:17:08 +0100

Subject: Re: edit-config operation
From: Cridlig Vincent <[email-masked]>
To: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:54:23 +0100

Hi,

> merge is data-model specific.

I just need a clarification on how merge is working, which I didn't find 
in the draft.
I am not sure to understand what you mean by "merge is data-model 
specific. ". Is merge behavior up to the implementor, or are there some 
general guidelines on what the merge is doing ?

> It is data model specific.
> Do you have suggestions for changing it?

It would help a lot to explicitely state what data is to be created, 
deleted or replaced. I think one of these three operations must be 
explicitely present in each request.
Specifying the key elements in the edit-config can help also.

I understand "merge" as a way to hide the real operations (create, 
replace, delete). But it is ambiguous in some cases, even if you define 
a strict data model (see the examples).

> You are using a nice clean XPath expression.
> Unfortunately, this is a small subset of the entire language.
> I think there are huge problems with setting or locking data items
> based on arbitrary Xpath expressions.

The XPath that I used is simple but it can be as complex as you want to.
I don't see the problems that it could create. Can you explain more ?

Vincent