Subject: Re: [Netconf] Reeminder: Action required before May 5th 2010: WG LAST ***CALL for draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-07.txt

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:44:10 -0400

Ladislav Lhotka writes:
>Actually, YANG is the new material here, and YANG uses a few important
>assumptions related to the concept of default values, so IMO the ability
>of the server to tell (at the very least) its way of handling defaults
>is a critical prerequisite for YANG.

YANG gives a way of dealing with default values.  They are engraved
in the stone in the YANG module.  By contrast, with-defaults seems
to reflect the SNMP mind set, where there was no way to determine
the real underlaying default value since the MIB contained only a
suggested default value.  I can see a convincing reason why I would
need to implement with-defaults, or why I would use it in an
application.

Thanks,
 Phil

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 08:19:00 -0700

Phil Shafer wrote:
> in the stone in the YANG module.

If you think this, then you don't understand YANG.
We don't need to repeat all the ways that the meta-dataset
can be ambiguous.  They are in the ML archive.

>   By contrast, with-defaults seems

We went through this discussion already.
Refer to the archive for details.

> _________

Andy