Subject: [Netconf] YANG 1.1 XML naming restriction in RESTCONF

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:13:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

There is a proposal in NETMOD (see attachment) to get rid of the
cl^h^hrule that an identifier must not start with case-insensitive
"xml".  If this proposal is accpted, it also affects RESTCONF.  We
should remove this restriction in Section 3.5.3.1 in
draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-16:

OLD:

   An identifier is not allowed to start with the case-insensitive
   string "XML", according to YANG identifier rules.  The syntax for
   "api-identifier" and "key-value" MUST conform to the JSON identifier
   encoding rules in Section 4 of [I-D.ietf-netmod-yang-json]: The
   RESTCONF root resource path is required.  Additional sub-resource
   identifiers are optional.  The characters in a key value string are
   constrained, and some characters need to be percent-encoded, as
   described in Section 3.5.3.

   ...

       ;; An identifier MUST NOT start with
       ;; (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l'))
       identifier  = (ALPHA / "_")
                     *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "_" / "-" / ".")

NEW:

   The syntax for
   "api-identifier" and "key-value" MUST conform to the JSON identifier
   encoding rules in Section 4 of [I-D.ietf-netmod-yang-json]: The
   RESTCONF root resource path is required.  Additional sub-resource
   identifiers are optional.  The characters in a key value string are
   constrained, and some characters need to be percent-encoded, as
   described in Section 3.5.3.

   ...

       identifier  = (ALPHA / "_")
                     *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "_" / "-" / ".")

/martin

Subject: [netmod] YANG 1.1 bug fix last call (was YANG 1.1: XML naming restriction)
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 12:02:01 +0200
List-Id: NETMOD WG list <netmod.ietf.org>

Hi,

as discussed in the thread 'YANG 1.1: XML naming restriction', it
seems that the restriction that identifiers may not start with "xml"
is not necessary according to XML 1.0 (5th edition). In addition, it
seems the YANG 1.1 specification should have an explicit normative
reference to the XML specification it is based on. The suggested
document changes are detailed below (thanks to Martin for writing this
up). Please let the WG know by August 24th if you object against
implementing this change before YANG 1.1 is published.

/js (with my RFC6020bis document shepherd hat on)

Section 1:

OLD:

   This document describes the syntax and semantics of version 1.1 of
   the YANG language.  It also describes how a data model defined in a
   YANG module is encoded in the Extensible Markup Language (XML), and

NEW:

   This document describes the syntax and semantics of version 1.1 of
   the YANG language.  It also describes how a data model defined in a
   YANG module is encoded in the Extensible Markup Language (XML)
   [XML], and

Section 1.1:

OLD:

   o  Allow type empty in a key.

   The following changes have been done to the NETCONF mapping:

NEW:

   o  Allow type empty in a key.

   o  Removed the restriction that identifiers could not start with
      the characters "xml".

   The following changes have been done to the NETCONF mapping:

Section 14:

OLD:

   ;; An identifier MUST NOT start with (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l'))
   identifier          = (ALPHA / "_")
                         *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "_" / "-" / ".")

NEW:

   identifier          = (ALPHA / "_")
                         *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "_" / "-" / ".")

Section 21.1:

NEW:

   [XML]      Bray, T., Paoli, J., Sperberg-McQueen, M., Maler, E., and
              F. Yergeau, "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fifth
              Edition)", World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation REC-
              xml-20081126, November 2008,
              <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126>.

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod