Subject: [netlmm] #97: Confused usage of VLAN terminology

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:21:13 -0000

#97: Confused usage of VLAN terminology
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                       |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  minor                        |   Milestone:  milestone3              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-ps  |     Version:  2.0                     
 Keywords:  PS draft                     |  
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Brian Carpenter, IESG chair, raised the following DISCUSS comment:

 3.1 Large Campus

     One  scenario  where  localized  mobility  management  would  be
     attractive is a large campus wireless LAN deployment.  Having a
     single broadcast domain for all WLAN access points doesn't scale
     very well.  Also, sometimes parts of the campus cannot be covered
     by one VLAN for other reasons (e.g., some links are other than
     802.3).

 The 802/VLAN reference seems confused here. (1) is it 802.3, or 802.1
 (where VLANs live)? (2) is it 802.3, or 802.11/16/other wireless?
 (3) Are we discussing VLAN support across 802 MAC variations, or
 something else? A rewrite seems needed.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/97>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0000

#97: Confused usage of VLAN terminology
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                       |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  minor                        |   Milestone:  milestone3              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-ps  |     Version:  2.0                     
Resolution:  fixed                        |    Keywords:  PS draft                
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  new => closed

> something else? A rewrite seems needed.

New description:

 3.1 Large Campus

 Dan Romanescu, OPS AD, raised the following related DISCUSS during IESG
 review:

 3. The claims in Section 3.1 are vague, and I had a hard time
 understanding them. What is a 'large campus'? What has the presence of one
 or multiple VLAN has to do with scalability? Why is this linked with IEEE
 802.3? - VLANs do not apply only to Ethernet. And what kind of VLANs -
 802.1Q or 802.1ad? the reference question is important here, scaling
 capabilities are very different between these IEEE 802.1 protocol flavors

Comment:

 First paragraph of Section 3.1 has been rewritten as follows:

 One scenario where localized mobility management would be attractive is a
 campus wireless LAN deployment, in which the geographical span of the
 campus, distribution of buildings, availability of wiring in buildings,
 etc. preclude deploying all WLAN access points as part of the same IP
 subnet. WLAN Layer 2 mobility could not be used across the entire campus.

 Resolve as fixed pending Dan and Brian's approval.