Subject: [netlmm] #101: Reference to "Heartbeat" is unclear

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:28:31 -0000

#101: Reference to "Heartbeat" is unclear
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  minor                         |   Milestone:  milestone3              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Jari Arkko, INT AD, submitted this comment as part of AD Review:

 >      Furthermore, in some cases, the mobile node
 >      may need to engage in "heartbeat signaling" to keep the connection
 >      with  the  correspondent  or  global  mobility  anchor  fresh,  for
 >      example, return routability in Mobile IPv6 must be done at a
 >      maximum every 7 minutes even if the mobile node is standing still.

 You may want to soften this statement a bit. It seems to be required
 only when you have traffic and/or want to keep the correspondent
 binding up. And there are ways to avoid this.

 And I am not aware of global mobility anchor hearbeat
 signaling, or are you referring to IPsec DPD?

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/101>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:55:08 -0000

#101: Reference to "Heartbeat" is unclear
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  minor                         |   Milestone:  milestone3              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
Resolution:  fixed                         |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  new => closed

Comment:

 This comment was primarily talking about the RR refreshes, but also, as
 mentioned, the IPsec DPD heartbeats. More detail has been added:

 Furthermore, additional signaling may be required on an active connection.
 For example, if the mobile node is exchanging traffic with the
 correspondent or wants to keep the address binding active for route
 optimization, the mobile node may need to engage in return routability
 signaling in Mobile IPv6 at a maximum every 7 minutes even if the mobile
 node is not moving. Also, if the mobile node and home agent may need to
 exchange IPsec dead peer detection messages periodically if the mobile
 node is not performing Mobile IPv6 signaling, in order keep the IPsec SAs
 for Mobile IPv6 alive.

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:11:50 -0700

netlmm wrote:
>  node is not moving. 

if there is active traffic between the MN and the CN, doing
return routability every 7 minutes is *not* an overhead.

> Also, if the mobile node and home agent may need to

DPD timer for SAs used for Mobile IPv6 signaling messages
can be set to a very large value. what is the concern here?
in fact in our products the default for DPD timer is one
hour. this is for regular IPsec SAs, not related to Mobile
IPv6.

Vijay

> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:22:44 -0700

Well, YMMV and 7 minutes may be a problem with some deployments. But it is 
not crucial to the argument, so I will take the paragraph out.

                 jak

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:22:29 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Vijay commented that he thinks this isn't a problem, so the paragraph is
 being taken out.