Subject: [netlmm] RE: duplicate address detection discovery using DHCP

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:51:53 -0700

Mohamed,

Going to the list:

> how the DHCP will know that the address is duplicated?

In the NETLMM world, all addresses (link-local or otherwise)
get registered with the network - see the MN-AR interface
spec. If all addresses are registered with the network, then
the DHCP server can know when an address is duplicated.

If some addresses are not registered with the network (e.g.,
via a misconfiguration or static configuration on a node that
does not do DHCP or NS(DAD)) then like I said the DHCP Advertise 
(not "OFFER" as I said in my previous message) might be harmlessly
directed to the misconfigured node, but the MN would never draw
the wrong conclusion that its proposed address was unique. That
is also why DHCP 4-message exchange is needed instead of 2-message
exchange; it defers the DHCP server's commitment of the proposed
address and requires a 4-way handshake that can only be completed
if the MN's proposed address is indeed unique.

Fred
[email-masked]  

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm