Subject: [netlmm] draft-singh-netlmm-protocol-00.txt

From: Sebastian Thalanany <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:32:10 -0600

Hi, Ajoy,
                    Thanks for the reference to the updated draft.

                     The proposed model suggests an implicit flexibility 
for mapping into a variety of functional architectures, while also 
permitting deployment choices. The support for both inter-AR context 
transfer as well as the use of the LMA in the case of inter-AR mobility 
is valuable.

Regards,
    Sebastian

Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1 wrote:

Hi, Sebastian,

Thanks for reviewing the draft.  A slightly updated version of draft is 
available for review now 
(http://bgp.potaroo.net/ietf/ids/draft-singh-netlmm-protocol-00.txt),

Please find below my inline comments.

Regards,

Ajoy

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Sebastian Thalanany [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [netlmm] draft-raman-netlmm-protocol-00.txt

             The logical localized mobility management model proposed by 
this draft has the following essential benefits:

        a.   Allow a separation of the signaling and the bearer plane  
        b.   Signaling plane for binding updates  
        c.    Bearer plane tunnel for  information transfer 

        <>Ajoy-> This is a key concept and even SDO's are moving in this
        direction. For example,  3GPP has defined MME and UPE
        entries. MME and UPE are responsible for control and bearer
        plane processing respectively. Similarly, WIMAX as has similar
        concept such as DP and EP. If the PMIP protocol is defined to
        provide separation between B P  and CP, it will be simpler to
        map its implementation to the split architecture.  

        d.    Allow CMIP (Client Mobile IP) for nomadicity or global
        mobility 

         Ajoy-> Absolutely client based mobility solution is in better
        position to do inter-domain mobility. In our draft, we have
        defined how PMIP and CMIP can co-exist together. 

         e.  Compliant with the standard mobile IP requirements

         f.   Centralized PMIP (Proxy Mobile IP) agent deployment
        supported to efficiently manage state information, for mobility
        across access routers 

        Ajoy-> Centralized PMIP agent avoids context transfer of
        security key and other control plane state information between
        ARs during handoff.  Also, centralized PMIP agent will provide
        better handover performance because you do not have to bootstrap
        key during every PMIP handoff.  

                These benefits are aligned with the developments across 
SDOs in terms of the objectives for the evolution of wireless mobile 
access networks. 

            Ajoy-> Agreed. 
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: "Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:42:53 -0500

Hi, Sebastian, 
 
Thanks! Is 3GPP2 also defining BP/CP split architecture?  Are you aware
of that? 
 
Regards,
Ajoy 

________________________________

From: Sebastian Thalanany [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 7:32 AM
To: Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1; [email-masked]
Subject: draft-singh-netlmm-protocol-00.txt
Importance: High

Hi, Ajoy,

Regards,
    Sebastian

Hi, Sebastian, 

Regards,

Ajoy 

________________________________

	

		a.   Allow a separation of the signaling and the bearer
plane  
		b.   Signaling plane for binding updates  
		c.    Bearer plane tunnel for  information transfer 

		<>Ajoy-> This is a key concept and even SDO's are moving
in this direction. For example,  3GPP has defined MME and UPE entries.
MME and UPE are responsible for control and bearer plane processing
respectively. Similarly, WIMAX as has similar concept such as DP and EP.
If the PMIP protocol is defined to provide separation between B P  and
CP, it will be simpler to map its implementation to the split
architecture.  

		d.    Allow CMIP (Client Mobile IP) for nomadicity or
global mobility 

		 Ajoy-> Absolutely client based mobility solution is in
better position to do inter-domain mobility. In our draft, we have
defined how PMIP and CMIP can co-exist together. 

		

		 f.   Centralized PMIP (Proxy Mobile IP) agent
deployment supported to efficiently manage state information, for
mobility across access routers 

		Ajoy-> Centralized PMIP agent avoids context transfer of
security key and other control plane state information between ARs
during handoff.  Also, centralized PMIP agent will provide better
handover performance because you do not have to bootstrap key during
every PMIP handoff.  

            Ajoy-> Agreed.

---

From: Sebastian Thalanany <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:01:47 -0600

Hi, Ajoy,
                    Yes, the BP/CP split architecture vision spans 
multiple SDOs including 3GPP2. The mobility management models should 
follow this vision for implementation flexibility and deployment choices.

                      Thanks.

Regards,
     Sebastian

Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1 wrote:

> Hi, Sebastian,
>  
> Thanks! Is 3GPP2 also defining BP/CP split architecture?  Are you 
> aware of that?
>  
> Regards,
> Ajoy
>
>  
>                      The proposed model suggests an implicit 
> flexibility for mapping into a variety of functional architectures, 
> while also permitting deployment choices. The support for both 
> inter-AR context transfer as well as the use of the LMA in the case of 
> inter-AR mobility is valuable.
>
> Regards,
>     Sebastian
>
>
>
> Thanks for reviewing the draft.  A slightly updated version of draft 
> is available for review now 
>              The logical localized mobility management model proposed 
> by this draft has the following essential benefits:
>
>         <>Ajoy-> This is a key concept and even SDO's are moving in
>         this direction. For example,  3GPP has defined MME and UPE
>         supported to efficiently manage state information, for
>         better handover performance because you do not have
>         to bootstrap key during every PMIP handoff.  
>
>                 These benefits are aligned with the developments 
> across SDOs in terms of the objectives for the evolution of wireless 
> mobile access networks. 
>
>  
>
>             Ajoy-> Agreed.