Subject: [netlmm] DHCP relay in draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support-02.txt

From: "Zu Qiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:15:05 -0500

Hello, 

            I have a question on the DHCP relay function defined at
draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support-02.txt

In the draft, it says:

"   o  After the initial procedure described in above, DHCP runs
      independently to the proxy binding registration for renewing the
      assigned IPv4 home address.  It is not necessary to run DHCP
      whenever a mobile node changes its attached mobile access gateway.
      A DHCP client renew the address according to the address lifetime,
      etc.  However, whenever a mobile node renews the IPv4 home address
      by DHCP (DHCP RENEWING STATE [RFC-2131]), the mobile access
      gateway SHOULD send a proxy binding update to the local mobility
      anchor regardless of the mobile node's assigned address changes."
 
Based on RFC 2131, no relays are involved in the renew state:
"   o DHCPREQUEST generated during RENEWING state:
 
      'server identifier' MUST NOT be filled in, 'requested IP address'
      option MUST NOT be filled in, 'ciaddr' MUST be filled in with
      client's IP address. In this situation, the client is completely
      configured, and is trying to extend its lease. This message will
      be unicast, so no relay agents will be involved in its
      transmission."

So my question is how the MAG updates the bind at the renew state?

        Have a nice day, 
__________________________________^_^___ 
Zu Qiang                                         
Ericsson Canada 
 *  Tel.: 1-514-3457900 X-47370 
 *  Fax: 1-514-3457982, * ECN: 8104 7370 
 *  Mobile: 1-514-5941136
 *  Email: [email-masked] 
_________________________________________ 

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm