Subject: [netlmm] About interface identifier

From: Nicolas Dichtel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:37:33 +0100

Hi all,

I'm a little confused with the Interface Identifier option. In section 8.5:

    "The format of the Interface Identifier option when the interface
     identifier is 8 bytes is shown below.  When the size is different,
     the option MUST be aligned appropriately, as per mobility option
     alignment requirements specified in [RFC-3775].
[snip]
       Length
           8-bit unsigned integer indicating the length of the option
           in octets, excluding the type and length fields. *This field
           MUST be set to 10*.
[snip]
       Interface Identifier

           A variable length field containing the mobile node's interface
           identifier."

Because the length of this option is variable, maybe the "MUST"
statement in the "length" field description must be removed ?

And what is the added interest of the reserved field ? Because the length
of If-Id field is variable, it will not help to align the option.

Regards,
Nicolas

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:11:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Nicolas,

> statement in the "length" field description must be removed ?

Yes. This was pointed out before. Will remove the 64-bit length
field assumption.

Thanks
Sri