Subject: [netlmm] Mobile-Host-Controlled Interface Deactivation

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:34:12 +0200

Folks,

a question regarding the new multi-interface support in version 08,
section 5.4 of the protocol spec:

My understanding is that, when an interface is deregistered by a MAG, it
is important that the mobile host disables this interface at the same
time.  This avoids situations where the old interface is still active
from the mobile host's perspective, but considered inactive from the
network's perspective.  The need to disable an interface applies both to
explicit deregistrations, and to handovers between interfaces.

I am missing a statement in the protocol spec that requires MAGs to not
deregister an old interface (or hand over a HNP to a new interface)
unless the mobile host has deactivated (or will deactivate) the old
interface.

Am I overlooking such a statement in the spec or do we need to add it?

- Christian

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:40:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Christian,

We cant specify any  new behaviour for the terminal. If the
MAG terminates a given session, it can deny the L3 access
to the terminal, that should translate to "no available
access" on that interface and unusable IPv6 interface. So,
beyond that, I dont think we should specify any thing more.

Regards
Sri

---

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:51:19 +0200

Sri,

but right now, the spec doesn't require a MAG to stop a mobile host's
use of an deregistered interface, does it?  Be it through mobile-host-
initiated interface deactivation or MAG-initiated L3 access revocation.

- Christian