Subject: [netlmm] WG Recharter - Work Item Poll Results and New Charter Text

From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:43:14 -0700

All,
Jonne and I have gone through all the emails received about the work
items and an analysis on those revealed very split results.  At least
four items received very similar level of support in terms of priorities
and the number of people willing to contribute to the efforts.  At least
one more came quite close as well.  So, among the 7 additional items
that were part of the list, the results were quite split among 5 of the
topics.  

As a result, we are unable to conclude on any one work item that can
potentially be included in the current list, as part of rechartering.
We cannot take too many items at the moment, given that we already have
several on our list.  So, after careful consideration and consultation
with our AD, we have decided to not take on additional items than
already proposed with consensus on the list for this round of
rechartering.  

That said, we do acknowledge that there is a lot of interest in several
of the new work items, especially in various optimizations that can be
done and these will be likely be the focus of the next round of
rechartering.  The sooner we can deliver on the current list, the sooner
we can get to defining those as well. 

Further, we have also reviewed the emails on revising the charter
scope/principles with respect to changing the mobile node and find that
there is no strong consensus one way or the other.  Since such a
fundamental change to our scope will require further discussion and a
reasonably major revisit by the IESG and IAB, we have decided not to
revise the charter principles at this point. 

Enclosed is the proposed new charter text that Jari has sent for
consideration to the IESG and IAB.  It is based on all the input
collected from the mailing list discussions.  It should not have any
surprises as such.  Please let us know if you see any disconnects in it.

Thanks,
Vidya
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:47:16 +0200

Hello Vidya,

I have one comment regarding the time line for the GRE keying document:

Aug 2008	Initial version of GRE keying document
Nov 2008	Working Group Last Call on GRE Keying document
Jan 2009	Submit GRE Keying document for AD review

3GPP Release 8 has a dependency on this I-D [1] thus it would be great
to be a bit more aggressive on these deadlines as Release 8 is supposed
to complete by December 2008.

[1] 3GPP IETF dependencies and priorities
	<http://www.3gpp.org/tb/Other/IETF/IETF.htm>

--julien

Narayanan, Vidya wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:57:59 +0300

Let me add two things. First, the proposed charter represents the 
current plan for the WG. When we get to an agreement on new work, we can 
relatively easy add it. Second, I have the opportunity to take so called 
AD sponsored submissions. If there are, say, small extensions that are 
real issues in some deployments, I could easily take it on myself. More 
information here: http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/ad-sponsoring.html

Jari

P.S. I would like to see the group focus most of its time on the 
progress with the documents. I think we've had fairly extensive 
discussions about the rechartering during and after the last IETF. Need 
to get to the real work, as well...
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: "Vijay Devarapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:16:41 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Jari Arkko
> Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:58 AM
> To: Narayanan, Vidya
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [netlmm] WG Recharter - Work Item Poll Results and New
> Charter Text
> 
> current plan for the WG. When we get to an agreement on new work, we
> can relatively easy add it. 

Does this mean new work items can be added to the charter if there is
consensus in the working group without having to wait for the "next
round"? 

Vijay

> Second, I have the opportunity to take so
> called

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:02:46 +0300

Vijay,

> consensus in the working group without having to wait for the "next
Yes. But not every month, and not if the list traffic consists mainly of 
rechartering discussions :-(

Jari