Subject: [newprep] how to poll developers?

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:31:07 -0700

I'd like to poll developers in the XMPP community about their experience
with implementation of the relevant stringprep profiles (Nodeprep and
Resourceprep). What are the right questions to ask? Here are a few
possibilities:

###

1. Have you implemented the XMPP stringprep profiles?

2. If not, why not? [e.g., users haven't asked for it, I'd rather leave
it up to the server to enforce internationalized addresses, too hard, etc.]

3. If so, did you (a) re-use a native library for your programming
language, (b) re-use a wrapper around a non-native library, or (c) write
your own stringprep implementation?

4. Have you encountered any problems with handling of internationalized
addresses? [e.g., interoperability with other implementations, limits
imposed by the hardcoding of Unicode 3.2 in stringprep, etc.]

5. If the XMPP WG recommended a new approach to internationalized
addresses in XMPP, would you be more likely or less likely to implement
that approach?

###

Your suggestions are welcome...

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/