Subject: [newtrk] a couple comments on draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-00.txt

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:31:17 -0800

John & John-

I'm reading the ISD docs and had a couple of comments/questions:

- Can an RFC appear in more than one ISD?  Should an ISD be capable of
  containing "symbolic-links", i.e., "RFC XXXX is relevant to
  this ISD but is part of ISD YY".

- Suggest as part of your transition plan including existing RFC
  errata from the RFC Editor pages.  

- May also want to put protocol action notices in ISDs for existing
  documents (this should be automatable).

--aaron
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:19:05 -0500

--On Monday, 01 November, 2004 15:31 -0800 Aaron Falk
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> - Can an RFC appear in more than one ISD?  Should an ISD be
> capable of   containing "symbolic-links", i.e., "RFC XXXX is
> relevant to   this ISD but is part of ISD YY".

Yes to the latter.  See the examples, where I think I may have
included one of these.

> - Suggest as part of your transition plan including existing
> RFC   errata from the RFC Editor pages.  

Already in one of the examples.   Suggestions for specific text
in the -01 document would be welcome.

> - May also want to put protocol action notices in ISDs for
> existing   documents (this should be automatable).

My hope is that, if there is general consensus in Washington
that this thing is going forward, we can solicit some help from
the RFC Editor, Geoff Huston and the archive he maintains, and
appropriate volunteers to pull a number of data sources, which
are already half-there, together in some automated way.

     john

.

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:48:55 -0700 (MST)

>  documents (this should be automatable).

I would suggest that both errata and notices are linked from ISDs, not 
copied. Copying information is usually a bad idea in general, and both 
errata and notices may be too long for ISDs.

If archival quality of errata entries and action notices is 
questionable (making links dangerous), then that problem should be 
solved separately.

Thanks,

Alex.

.