Subject: [newtrk] The ISD concept and drafted examples

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:49:30 +0100

The various ideas previously presented by John, John, and others,
now evolved in to the ISD proposal, makes very much sense in my
opinion. In addition to the comments already expressed on this
list, I do not have much to add to the actual concept, at the
moment, but I hope we can get consensus to proceed with this
work.

When reading the two example documents by Scott and John, my
feeling was that Scott's format seemed more mature and looked
really good. However, one thing that I did react on was the
way History was documented, by actually including all previous
versions of the complete ISD. This way, the document easily 
gets rather long by time, even if changes are small.

An idea for documenting history could be to have the following
structure:

* CURRENT ISD
* HISTORY
    - Initial version of ISD
    - Detailed change log from initial to current ISD

With such a structure, I think we avoid putting too much
redundancy in the documents, and it will be easier to follow
how the ISD has evolved, instead of having to go back and
forth and compare versions. Will we miss something with this
structure?

It also seems like the structure in Scott's draft implicitly
creates a version concept for ISD, is that what we want?
I do not yet have an opinion on that, just wanted to point
it out.

/Lars-Erik
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:24:59 -0500

--On Thursday, 04 November, 2004 10:49 +0100 "Lars-Erik Jonsson
(LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>...

This is what I had originally anticipated, but it is why
examples are important.  The subject would, IMO, make a good
discussion topic next week.

Spencer has, I think, responded to your other comments.

Thanks for the support.

   john

.