Subject: [newtrk] cruft & UPDATES, UPDATED-BY

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:45:28 -0800

I'm a bit behind on the mail list but this came up recently in some
RFC Editor discussions and since there appears to be forward momentum
in the cruft activity, I thought I'd bring it up now.  

The RFC repository contains meta-data stating that RFCs update and are
updated by other RFCs.  You can trace these relationships pretty
easily through the search engine on the RFC Editor site.  The
semantics of these updates are a little fuzzy, sometimes meaning the
text is updated, sometimes the protocol, sometimes the standard.  So,
I suggest that it is important for the cruft team to examine these
linkages and make recommendations that, when a document is made
HISTORIC, each RFC related by OBSOLETES, OBSOLETED-BY, UPDATES, or
UPDATED-BY attributes be evaluated as to whether it should be made
HISTORIC, too.  If there is no change, that should be explicitly
stated.

--aaron
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:04:42 +0200 (EET)

> HISTORIC, too.  If there is no change, that should be explicitly

I've always had the assumptions that when Foo obsoletes Bar, and we 
make Foo historic, Bar will go down to the same section of 
"grayed-out" RFCs as well.  It seems hardly necessary to explicitly 
reclassify all of the past, obsoleted incarnations of the new protocol 
historic?

However, you raise a good point about Updates -field.  When something 
would be made historic with an updates field, the respective 
document(s) certainly bear being looked at as well.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html