Subject: [newtrk] ISD format definition format

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:10:42 -0500

This is admittedly a minor issue.
But since it really bothers me, I thought I should say something.
drft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-02.txt says that the ISD shall be XML, 
conforming to an appropriate and IESG-designated, Document Type Definition 
(DTD).

There has been noticeable discussion of the fact that the design of the 
format, while it needs IESG approval, really ought to be done my the 
working group.  I agree that proposing the format is the WG jobs.  That's 
not what is bothering me.

Can we please use XML Schema rather than a DTD?
I personally find XML Schema easy to use, and DTDs very hard to understand.
I also find I can come closer to describing the actual semantic constraints 
using XML schema.

Thank you,
Joel

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:48:23 -0500

> I also find I can come closer to describing the actual semantic constraints 

I agree, but I'd say it was sufficient at this point to leave the choice
of formal schema to the WG, the IESG, and the RFC Editor.  I don't think
that choice should be made now, and agree that DTD is not sufficient.

-- 
Scott Lawrence
Consulting Engineer
Pingtel Corp.
http://www.pingtel.com/
+1.781.938.5306 x162

.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:41:38 +0100

I think the IESG is going to want to see a complete proposal,
so my feeling is that the WG should make a clear recommendation,
and likely find a volunteer to write the schema (assuming the
recommendation is indeed XSD).

     Brian

.