Subject: Does NFSv4 support file change notification ?

From: Roland Mainz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:15:28 +0100

Hi !

----

Does NFSv4 support change "notifications" a file/directory, e.g. if
someone modifies the file or directory the filesystem sends a
signal/message to the requesting client ?

----

Bye,
Roland

--
  __ .  . __
 (o.\ \/ /.o) [email-masked]
  \__\/\/__/  [email-masked]
  /O /==\ O\  MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
 (;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193 FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359

---

From: Brent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:01:41 -0800

> signal/message to the requesting client ?

No.  Change notification doesn't scale.  Imagine the scenario of
several hundred clients registering notification on a single file
followed by one or more clients changing that file frequently.

NFSv4 does support the server notifying a client that another
client needs access to a delegated file - but I don't think
that's what you're after.

	Brent