Subject: Re: Compound operations : NFS kernel support

From: Peter Staubach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:49:08 -0800 (PST)

> 
> Compound operations should be a big advantage for doing GETATTR on all files 
> in a directory, or similar batch tasks.
> 

This would be true iff the client already has all of the file handles
for all of the entries in a directory, and, more interestingly, if the
client operating system has an interface or an implementation which can
take advantage of it.  I suppose that the client could send over a
compound request composed of LOOKUP operations, but it would still need
an interface or an implementation which would cause it do such an
operation.

I haven't heard about a system which contains support for such a bulk
operation, but I sure would like to if one exists.

	Thanx...

		ps

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:09:28 -0800

> in a directory, or similar batch tasks.
 
READDIR can do that for all files in a directory.  If you 
have a specific subset that you are interested in and
you know either the names or the handles, then COMPOUND
allows you to get the attributes for all of them.