Subject: Re: July Bakeoff, Locking anyone?

From: "William A.(Andy) Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:09:11 -0400

we also have a fairly complete implementationg of share reservation locking, 
though not as far along as you. i've completed open and close, and i'll be  
working on OPEN_DOWNGRADE for the bakeoff. i hope to have enough time to do 
more - i vote for the the share reservation reclaim logic.

i'd like to get your locking test program and run it prior to the bakeoff.

-->Andy

>I'm getting ready for the July bakeoff.  I've got a fairly
>complete implementation of locking as it relates to share 
>reservations (open/close/open_downgrade).  I need to decide
>what to do next in the time available, which will depend on 
>what clients have implemented.
>
>There are two possible paths:
>
>     Implement lock reclaim logic for share reservations.
>
>     Implement byte-range locking (w/o the reclaim stuf).
>
>Chances are I'll be unable to do both in time, so it makes
>sense to do the one most clients will be able to test.  If
>you will have a client at the July Bakeoff and will be able 
>to exersize one or both of these features, let me know.

>BTW, the test program I used to test my locking so far may
>be of interest to someone.  It simulates two clients, each with 
>two lockowners each of which do randomly ordered opens and
>closes with randomly selected access and deny modes.  Each
>lockowner can do up to four opens of the single file (right
>now it is hardcoded as /etc/hosts), so there is ample 
>opportunity to exercise upgrade and downgrade logic.  The
>program keeps an internal model of the file reservations so
>it checks that operations succeed and fail only as predicted.
>It helped me find lots of bugs in my code (Don't know how many
>it didn't find, we'll see in July).
>
>I intend to bring this program to the bakeoff (Why should the
>client guys be the only ones to have the fun of panic-ing 
>servers :-).  I'll be making the source available to anyone
>who wants it (no copyright, no copyleft, you can whine about
>bugs but I may not fix them).
>
>If anyone wants to have the program before them, let me know.
>It's still kind of hacky with lots of hardcoded constants, but
>I'm willing to spend a little time cleaning it up and writing 
>a README, if someone needs it to help get ready for the Bakeoff.