Subject: Minor updates to draft06-01

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:33:59 -0500

Vern,
  I have made some minor udpates based on the comments below (received
from Mike Eisler).  I also added a clarification to the OPEN operation.
The updated interim drafts are available under:

http://playground.sun.com/nfsv4/draft0602

Spencer

---- comments from Mike Eisler ----

o    In cases and a host is both an nfs client and server, it can      |
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In cases when a host

        share the same per-host certificate.                              |

-----

the server should not reuse
           ^^^^^^
           SHOULD

   a filehandle for another file system object.  If the server needs to
   reuse a filehandle value, the time elapsed before reuse SHOULD be      |
   large enough, measured as several hours, that it is likely the client  
   no longer has a cached copy of the reused filehandle value.

The fragment "that its ... value" is awkward. Suggest

        "such that it is unlikely the client has a cached copy of the reused
        filehandle value"

-------
   FH4_VOLATILE_ANY
        The filehandle may expire at any time and will expire during      |
        system migration.
                        ^
        "and rename"

   FH4_VOL_MIGRATION
        The filehandle will expire during file system migration and only
        then.  May only be set if FH4_VOLATILE_ANY is not set.

The "and only then" part suggests that FH4_VOL_RENAME cannot be set.
Suggest striking "and only then".

   FH4_VOL_RENAME
        The filehandle may expire due to a rename.  This includes a
        rename by the requesting client or a rename by another client.
        May only be set if FH4_VOLATILE_ANY is not set.

---

< various spelling errors >

  *  Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1998,2000).

No significant changes to this file in 1999?

        -mre