Subject: July Bakeoff, Locking anyone?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:36:03 -0700

I'm getting ready for the July bakeoff.  I've got a fairly
complete implementation of locking as it relates to share 
reservations (open/close/open_downgrade).  I need to decide
what to do next in the time available, which will depend on 
what clients have implemented.

There are two possible paths:

     Implement lock reclaim logic for share reservations.

     Implement byte-range locking (w/o the reclaim stuf).

Chances are I'll be unable to do both in time, so it makes
sense to do the one most clients will be able to test.  If
you will have a client at the July Bakeoff and will be able 
to exersize one or both of these features, let me know.

BTW, the test program I used to test my locking so far may
be of interest to someone.  It simulates two clients, each with 
two lockowners each of which do randomly ordered opens and
closes with randomly selected access and deny modes.  Each
lockowner can do up to four opens of the single file (right
now it is hardcoded as /etc/hosts), so there is ample 
opportunity to exercise upgrade and downgrade logic.  The
program keeps an internal model of the file reservations so
it checks that operations succeed and fail only as predicted.
It helped me find lots of bugs in my code (Don't know how many
it didn't find, we'll see in July).

I intend to bring this program to the bakeoff (Why should the
client guys be the only ones to have the fun of panic-ing 
servers :-).  I'll be making the source available to anyone
who wants it (no copyright, no copyleft, you can whine about
bugs but I may not fix them).

If anyone wants to have the program before them, let me know.
It's still kind of hacky with lots of hardcoded constants, but
I'm willing to spend a little time cleaning it up and writing 
a README, if someone needs it to help get ready for the Bakeoff.

---

From: "John S. Yates, Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:47:33 -0400

>If anyone wants to have the program before them, let me know.

How about some place below http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/ ?

/john

--
John Yates
EverFile
40 Pine Street
Needham, MA 02492
781 400-1015