Subject: RE: initial delegation experience

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:36:57 -0800

Kendrick M. Smith wrote: 
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Noveck, Dave wrote:
> 
> > > Is there some reason that I'm missing for using open-by-name in the
> > > CLAIM_DELEGATE_CUR branch of OPEN?
> >
> > I think it was just a mistake.  When those cases were defined, I
> > think I just took the standard one and modified it only as much as I
> > had to.  I knew CLAIM_PREVIOUS had to be modified to be by-filehandle
> > but I didn't see that CLAIM_DELEGATE_CUR had to be, so I left it
> > being by-name.  Sorry.
> 
> Does this mean that the CLAIM_DELEGATE_CUR branch (and presumably the
> CLAIM_DELEGATE_PREV branch as well) can be changed to open-by-filehandle?

I think it means it can be changed (unless someone has thought of some
reason why this has to be the way it is).

But that's a separate question from whether it should be changed.  The
question is how troublesome does something have to be before we decide
it should be changed.  We decided to change RFC3010 because of stuff
that was essentially unimplementable for many people, but as we have
decided on another round we've made a lot of changes with a lot
less motivation.  That was fine for a while, but I think that if we 
are going to really ship V4 in our lifetimes, we have to raise the
bar for incompatible changes.

At some point we have to get back to "No changes unless significant 
clients or servers cannot reasonably implement what we currently have".
That's probably overly strict for right now, especially with regard
to features that are only now being implemented.  I guess I'd say
that if client implementations find this to be a "serious inconvenience" 
(as opposed to an ordinary one), I'd be OK with changing it.  The mere 
fact that it's a mistake isn't (shouldn't be) enough.
 
> If so, do we want to do this before or after Connectathon?

If we do this, it should definitely be after Connectathon.  I say "No
changes three weeks before Connectathon" and I'm especially insistent
this year since I'm going to be on vacation for over a week between 
now and then (and I hope to be ready to test delegations).

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:35:48 -0600

I agree with Dave that changes should be very limited at this point
(especially since we have linux code on the street)...  I also agree
that any change to the CLAIM_DELEGATE_CUR path should be delayed to
after Connectathon.

-- 
Spencer