Subject: this is a test post

From: Super-User <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:35:09 -0600 (CST)

Testing for the restriction of posting from off list addresses.

---

From: Erez Zadok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:50:19 -0500 (EST)

> Testing for the restriction of posting from off list addresses.

Sorry.  Didn't work. :-(  I assume root@dhcp... wasn't subscribed.

While you're at it, since you're using Majordomo, you should know that
slightly smarter spammers can figure out what the *actual* backend majordomo
list exploder is and use it directly to bypass majordomo's restrictions that
only subscribers can post.  I bet you good money that

	[email-masked]

is the backend exploder list:

> Received: from sunroof.eng.sun.com (localhost [127.0.0.1])
> 	by sunroof.eng.sun.com (8.12.2+Sun/8.12.2) with ESMTP id g161Yv2Q012604
> 	for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:34:57 -0800 (PST)
> Received: (from majordomo@localhost)
> 	by sunroof.eng.sun.com (8.12.2+Sun/8.12.2/Submit) id g161YvAH012603
> 	for nfs4-wg-dist; Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:34:57 -0800 (PST)

Check out the MD FAQ.  It talks specifically how to obfuscate the actual
list exploder so no one could bypass it (security by obscurity...)

(BTW, MD's deficiencies is what made many move all their lists to Mailman.
And I may soon move to the even better list processor, Listar.  And let's
hope this doesn't start a my-list-processor-is-better-than-yours thread. :-)

Cheers,
Erez.