Subject: RE: Locking directories in NFS v4

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:17:18 -0800

No explicit locking.

Servers are allowed to reject renames of open files or the directories
involved in the pathname of an open file, but that is a server semantic
choice.  I would assume that NFSv4 servers on Windows would work that way,
but I don't know for sure.

There has been some discussion of directory delegation as a possible 
extension in a minor version.  That would involve a form of locking of
directories, although since delegations are recallable, it would not 
provide the sort of guarantee that an explicit mandatory dircetory lock 
would.

-----Original Message-----
From: SORABH.MANGALICK [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 2:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Locking directories in NFS v4

Is there any provision in NFS v4 to explicitly lock the directories (and/or paths) in order to prevent their renaming while a file is being opened and/or accessed.
Thanks,
Sorabh