Subject: [nfsv4] maxfilesize attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:03:06 -0500 (EST)

I feel dumb asking this one (I know, there's a reason I feel dumb:-), but
I will anyhow...

If the server supports holes in files, what is the correct answer for
maxfilesize?
1 - the maximum value supported for the "size" attribute
OR
2 - the maximum size the file can grow to, if it has no holes in it?
    (ie. maximum possible storage it can use, if nothing else exists
     on the file system)

I'm leaning towards #1, but just noticed on an audit of my current code, that
I do #2 at this point.

So, should I switch to #1? Thanks, rick

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Eric Werme USG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:18:50 -0500

I think the intent has always been #1.  An operational problem with #2
is that it may have to vary as a function free space on the file system,
at least if you take a really pedantic approach to things.

The NFS V3 FSINFO call does #1.

	-Ric Werme