Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Re: charsets

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:46:16 -0500

Definition of "legacy":  That's the one that still works.

This is not just a transition issue.  A server may be exporting a file
system whose names are not utf-8.  This will not go away, because the same
file system may be accessible in other, non-nfs ways, either to local users
or via some other remote file system.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:50:16 -0600

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:46:16PM -0500, Jim Rees wrote:
> system whose names are not utf-8.

That's what I meant by "legacy filesystems."

>                                    This will not go away, because the same

Yup.  Implementors will have to figure out what to do about those.  I'm
not sure that the v4 or v4.x specs can do to help other than, perhaps,
allow degraded I18N modes.

Nico
--