Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Re: charsets

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:05:09 -0500

Charsets are specified by users, not by admins in UNIX systems. If the
  user on a client (or the server) chooses a bad charset, then tough
  cookie: they are going to have problems.

Yes, but the admin might have a good idea what charset is in use on a
particular server.  I know what charset is in use on mine, because I'm the
only one who ever puts files into it.

I think most v4 servers today don't do any kind of checking or modification
of file names.  I think that's just fine as long as v4 is the only client of
the server's underlying file system.

But given that the v4 protocol imposes a charset on us, and that we will
have exported file systems that use a different charset, and that we will
often know what that charset is, I think we need to have some way of doing
the translation on the server.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:48:48 -0600

> the translation on the server.

Legacy transition issues will probably mean that either: a) implementors
are slow to implement NFSv4 I18N, b) will provide suitable knobs for
legacy client compat, c) will provide tools for converting legacy
systems, d) will ignore legacy filesystems/clients or provide some
degraded service for them (e.g., no non-ASCII chars allowed), e) some
combination of the above.

Nico
--