Subject: [nfsv4] NFS4ERR_MOVED_DATA_AND_STATE

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:46:25 -0400

NFS4ERR_MOVED_WITH_STATE was introduced to solve the problem that a
client has no reliable way to probe a new server to find out whether it
will respect the state that the client got from some old server.

It solves that problem only in one case, though--the case when the
migration is triggered by the server-returned error--and leaves out some
important cases such as failover.

I suppose it's partly for this reason that all the other information
relevant to migration is communicated in attributes, not encoded in
error returns.

Dave Noveck's locations_info proposal would address the problem, though
it's overkill for this case.  Are people still interested in the full
generality of locations_info, or should I propose something smaller?

--b.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4