Subject: [nfsv4] re: Federated Filesystems using v4 (new mailing list)

From: Daniel Ellard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:39:34 -0500

Sorry to reply in a non-threaded manner, but Renu brought to my attention
some questions that appeared on this list.

- Why not just use the nfsv4 list?

There's certainly overlap between the people on this list and the people
interested in federated file systems, but it's my opinion that there are
some important differences in focus:

    1.  I think the federation effort will flounder if we try to change
        nfsv4.X in any way whatsoever.  It's my opinion -- and shared by
        others -- that we should assume that the client-facing protocols
        are a given.  So while the nfsv4 list discusses the future of v4
        beyond 4.1, the federation list will conservatively assume only v4
        (at least until such time as it's proven unworkable...).

    2.  We're not just thinking about v4.  We're thinking about CIFS, and,
        if possible, we'd like to figure out how we can make v3 work in some
        reasonably portable manner.  We've got a lot of customers who are
        still happy with v3 and don't want to migrate -- and I suspect we're
        not the only people in that boat.

    Of course, the most important thing is to reach the community of people
    who are interested in this -- so if y'all want to discuss this on this
    list, I'll join you here.

- Will the work lead to a standards initiative?

    If successful, yes, that's the plan.  Whether it will be via IETF is
    something we need to work out.

- Will the materials from the Bof and WiP be posted?

    We're working on that.  It will happen, but I don't have a URL yet...

- Will the mailing list be archived?

    Yes.  In fact, it should be already.  I need a guinea pig to test
    whether the majordomo archive actually works properly from outside
    of netapp.

-Dan  

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Tom Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:54:56 -0600

>     whether the majordomo archive actually works properly from outside
Just tell us the link...