Subject: [nfsv4] Request for additions to the NFSv4 WG charter

From: Daniel Ellard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:30:31 -0400

On behalf of myself, Craig Everhart (NetApp), Renu Tewari (IBM), and Manoj
Naik (IBM):

As discussed at the NFSv4 WG meeting in Philadelphia at the beginning of
March, we request that the work we have been doing to develop a requirements
document for a federated naming system that can be used to implement a
federated file system, and protocols that satisfy the requirements, be taken
up for review by the NFSv4 WG.  The first milestone will be to refine the
requirements document so that it can be published as an informational RFC.
The next milestone is to publish the specifications for the proposed
protocols, based on the requirements document, as draft RFCs for discussion
in the NFSv4 WG.

The starting points for the WG discussion are a preliminary requirements
document and protocol specification.  These documents are the result of more
than a year of open discussion in the form of BoF sessions at FAST'07 and
FAST'08, discussion on an open mailing list ([email-masked]), and
frequent open conference calls (announced on the federated-fs list).
Participants in this discussion have included representatives from NetApp,
IBM, Sun, EMC, Rainfinity, CITI, and others.  The current state of the work
is summarized in the following personal drafts:

draft-ellard-nfsv4-federated-fs-00

draft-tewari-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-01

draft-ellard-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-00

-Dan

-- 
Daniel Ellard, Ph.D.
NetApp Advanced Technology Group

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:01:56 -0500

> draft-ellard-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-00

Thanks, Dan.

Yes, we did discuss the addition of the federated naming work to the  
NFSv4 charter.

Those in the room in Philadelphia were supported of this work but as  
we know
that is not the working group.  Those of you on this alias are the  
working group
and as co-chair, I would like to hear/see support for this work  
moving into
the working group's charter.

Personally, I would like to see this work move forward and would  
support a
charter addition for requirements and problem area definition of  
federated naming
and working to publish that content as an information RFC.

Spencer

---

From: "Ellard, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:22:56 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Spencer Shepler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:02 AM
> To: Ellard, Daniel
> Cc: Pawlowski, Brian; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Request for additions to the NFSv4 WG charter
> 
> 
> > As discussed at the NFSv4 WG meeting in Philadelphia ...
> 
> Those in the room in Philadelphia were supported of this work 
> but as we know that is not the working group.  Those of you 
> on this alias are the working group and as co-chair, I would 
> like to hear/see support for this work moving into the 
> working group's charter.

Yes, my original letter was imprecise.  It's really this list that I
wish to address.

I encourage everyone with an opinion on this topic to share it with the
list (or at least the chairs).

Thanks,
	-Dan

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:56:48 -0400

This seems to fit very well with the group's interests, at least as I
understand them.  Whether there is a meaningful difference between that
concept and simply "my interests", I leave for others to decide.  I
think the work that has been done so far gives us a good basis to start.
That doesn't mean that we may not want to rethink decisions you have
made but I think it will be good to avoid a lot of the
flailing-around-while-we-decide-which-end-is-up stage of the work.

So I definitely think it would be good if this was added to the group's
charter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellard, Daniel 
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:23 AM
To: Spencer Shepler
Cc: Pawlowski, Brian; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Request for additions to the NFSv4 WG charter

Thanks,
	-Dan

---

From: "William A. (Andy) Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:09:06 -0400

Advancing the NFS name space is important to the use of the protocol. I
agree this should be added to the groups charter.

-->Andy

---

From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:05:26 -0600

Daniel Ellard wrote:

> up for review by the NFSv4 WG.

+1 - I'd like to see this added to the nfsv4-wg charter, since
it augments our current namespace support.

Rob T