Subject: [nfsv4] Inconsistency in Section ``ACE Access Mask'' (6.2.1.3. )

From: Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 11:23:02 +0100

Section 6.2.1.3. contains this paragraph about ACE Access Mask flags:

>   Note that some masks have coincident values, for example,
>   ACE4_READ_DATA and ACE4_LIST_DIRECTORY.  The mask entries
>   ACE4_LIST_DIRECTORY, ACE4_ADD_SUBDIRECTORY, and ACE4_TRAVERSE are
>   intended to be used with directory objects, while ACE4_READ_DATA,
>   ACE4_WRITE_DATA, and ACE4_EXECUTE are intended to be used with non-
>   directory objects.

Problems:
 * There is a reference to ACE4_TRAVERSE which doesn't exist.
 * ACE4_ADD_FILE and ACE4_APPEND_DATA are not mentioned.

I would like to propose to change this paragraph to:

   Note that some masks have coincident values, for example,
   ACE4_READ_DATA and ACE4_LIST_DIRECTORY.  The mask entries
   ACE4_LIST_DIRECTORY, ACE4_ADD_FILE, and ACE4_ADD_SUBDIRECTORY are
   intended to be used with directory objects, while ACE4_READ_DATA,
   ACE4_WRITE_DATA, and ACE4_APPEND_DATA are intended to be used with non-
   directory objects.

Thanks,
Andreas

PS.
I tried to register for a Roundup Tracker account for entering this, but the 
registration form failed. Spencer has been informed about the problem.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

>    ACE4_WRITE_DATA, and ACE4_APPEND_DATA are intended to be used with

I concur and declare a rough consensus. If anyone disagrees with the
change or my declaration of consensus, speak up.