Subject: [nfsv4] 5.12.2 Attribute 70: retention_set.

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 21:35:48 -0600

I'm trying to understand the use of rs_enable and rs_duration. As i  
read the
text it seems possible for Client A to issue { rs_enable = FALSE,  
rs_duration = 120}
and Client B to issue {rs_enable = TRUE, rs_duration = 60}...

I guess i'm questioning the reason to have rs_enable ??

Robert. 
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:57:05 -0600

On Mar 2, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Robert Gordon wrote:

>
> I'm trying to understand the use of rs_enable and rs_duration.
> As i read the text it seems possible for Client A to issue
> 	{ rs_enable = FALSE, rs_duration = 120 }
> and Client B to issue
> 	 { rs_enable = TRUE, rs_duration = 60 }...

I'm not sure who authored the retention attributes; however, i'm not
advocating the removal of rs_enable but rather i'd like some more
explanation as to how a client may use it and what the expected
behavior is for the above, and what the error code should be when say
a client attempts to set a retention duration when a duration is
all ready in effect (NFS4ERR_PERM ?? )

Robert.

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:00:06 -0700 (PDT)

> > 	 { rs_enable = TRUE, rs_duration = 60 }...

Yes.

> explanation as to how a client may use it and what the expected

If the client is authorized to set rs_duration (or rs_enable)
then it can set them.

> all ready in effect (NFS4ERR_PERM ?? )

It isn't specified. This stuff comes from the XAM APIs. I looked
at them and didn't see any obvious error codes.

Alan Yoder and David Black should weigh in.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4