Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS Meeting Minutes, 01/08/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:37:06 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 01/08/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Dan Ellard (BBN)
Craig Everhart (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Renu Tewari (IBM/ARC)
Rob Thurlow (Sun)
Mario Wurzl (EMC)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each weeks meeting with this announcement.

+ Requirements Document Re-published

  A new version of the requirements document was published on December 23,
  2008.

+ Upcoming events

	- Connectathon

	There will be an opportunity to test referral code at Connectathon. 
	Rob is expecting to be the coordinator of the replication and migration 
	testing at Connectathon. The testing could include referrals on their 
	own or referrals using FedFS.

	Rob will do a presentation on this topic at Connectathon. 
	The talk will be on federated namespaces, replication and 
	migration.

	Connectathon is a good forum to publicize this work. There is a lot 
	of overlap with IETF.

	- FAST '09 BOF

	There has been a BOF at FAST for the past two years. 

	A FAST BOF would potentially bring in people from the academic
	community and users.

	iPOD was the give away. Everyone stuck their business cards in a
	goldfish bowl.

	We had good attendance the first year because there was an ipod 
	giveaway. Attendance was down a little last year because there 
	was no giveaway. 

	This year we should avoid overlapping with other BOFs and FAST 
	events. We could do a FedFS demo to attract attention. 

	[AI] Dan Ellard will get in touch with the FAST organizers to
	     find out about scheduling a BOF.

+ NSDB Protocol Document Updates

  Sections that need updating:

	- 3.4 Namespace Database (last paragraph on replication)
	- 3.6 Federation Root FileServers
	- 3.7 Federation Root FileSet
	- 6.2 Junction Resolution (remove junction key)
	- 7 Error Definitions
	- 8 Mapping NSDB onto LDAP (fold schema and ABNF into normative text
	  like RFC 3112-style)
	- Add an appendix with entire schema

	Dan noted that the examples in section 2.1 of RFC 3112 can give us
	a notation for constraining our FedFS LDAP strings.

	The admin protocol document uses RPC program number 100205. Dan believes that 
	this number is already registered with IANA.

	[AI] James Lentini will check on IANA registration for the admin
	     protocol number. 

	In the next draft, we will experiment with removing the root fileset
	and fileserver sections and focus the document on the NSDB protocol.

	We will update the replication text in section 3.4 with the terms from 
	RFC 3254.

	The goal will be to create a new draft of the NSDB document for two
	weeks from now.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Daniel Ellard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:46:21 -0500

I've exchanged email with the USENIX folks.

There is no rush on scheduling a BoF.  We can wait until the last minute.

(although of course we need to schedule it soon enough that everyone
knows about it so they'll show up!)

-Dan