Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS Meeting Minutes, 01/15/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:53:41 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 01/15/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Dan Ellard (BBN)
Craig Everhart (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Renu Tewari (IBM/ARC)
Rob Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each weeks meeting with this announcement.

+ Upcoming events

	- Connectathon

	Two types of meetings/talks on the schedule: testing kickoff
	meetings (closed to public) and talks (open to the public).

	Rob does not know when the public talk will be held. 

	Those registered for the event will be able to participate in the 
	testing.

	- FAST '09 BOF

	[AI] Dan Ellard will get in touch with the FAST organizers to
	     find out about scheduling a BOF.

	Complete. Dan wrote:

	There is no rush on scheduling a BoF.  We can wait until the
	last minute.

	(although of course we need to schedule it soon enough that
	everyone knows about it so they'll show up!)

	[AI] For the group: In the second week of February we will 
	     pick a time to hold the FAST BOF. Wednesday is a likely
	     candidate.

+ NSDB Protocol Document Updates

	[AI] James Lentini will check on IANA registration for the admin
	     protocol number 100205.

	This draft:

	http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-10.txt

	states that the IANA will manage the assignments of ONC RPC program 
	numbers in the future. It appears that this transition has not
	occurred and this list from Sun 

	http://www.nfsv4-editor.org/rpc-numbers-1831bis.txt

	is still the "authoritative" list of assigned program numbers.
	On this list, NetApp is listed as the owner of the range 
	100202-100207, which includes 100205. In summary, it appears 
	that the 100205 reservation has been recorded and will 
	be registered with IANA when all other RPC program numbers
	are moved to IANA. We should consider adding a note that
	100205 is used for the FedFS administration protocol.

	Rob recommended that we get our own number. Rob recommended 
	that we get the number now if we are using it. RFC 1831 
	describes the procedure for getting a new number. 

	[AI] James Lentini will request 4 RPC program numbers for 
	     FedFS using the procedure outlined in
	     draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-10.txt

	NSDB document updates:

	+ Replace the term "interface" with "protocols" throughout 
	  the document. The rational is that interface can make 
	  people think of an API. We agreed to make this change.

	+ external fileservers: This term is defined on page 6, but not 
	  used in the document. This was probably a hold over from when 
	  referrals outside the federation were discussed. We agreed to
	  drop this definition.

	+ local NSDB: This term is defined on page 9 and 13. The terminology 
	  is confusing, especially since it is not clear if a local NSDB
	  supports an LDAP interface. We agreed to remove this text.

	+ NSDB replication: We agreed to add further text describing the
	  requirements.

	The next step will be to update the LDAP descriptions.
	
	Dan's LDAP file has references to the required strings. 

	The prefix that belongs to Dan is registered with IANA.
	Dan added another layer beneath that. The top level entities in this
	list are organizations or people. The standard approach is to get a
	single prefix for an organization or person. We could get our own
	for FedFS in the future.

	Goal is to have a revised version of the NSDB draft for next week.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4