Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 08/06/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:29:58 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 08/06/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Dan Ellard (BBN)
Craig Everhart (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Pavan Mettu (Sun)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Rob Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Report from the NFSv4 WG Meeting

  Most of the FedFS discussions were centered on the drafts awaiting 
  last call: NSDB, Admin, and DNS SRV.

  There was an issue on the requirements draft.

  Spencer Shepler will shepherd the requirements draft to the IESG by 
  Monday, August 10, 2009.

  We discussed the issues that Rob Thurlow brought up regarding the 
  lack of a definition for referrals in NFSv4. Dave Noveck will be leading the
  effort to address this. Dave is the co-author of an expired draft describing 
  the use of referrals in NFSv4. The expired draft may either be (a)
  resurrected and proposed as a standards track RFC that the NFSv4 spec
  references or (b) the text of the expired draft may be incorporated into the
  next version of the NFSv4 spec.

  Andy presented on multi-domain access.

  Lars suggested that we meet with Leif Johansson. Andy and I met with him.
  Here is Leif's feedback:

   - Clarify NSDB is separate from LDAP directory with users, etc.

   - Mandating RDN structure is unusual. Make sure attributes can be used 
     as RDNs.

   - Use LDAP URI filter for examples rather than LDIF

   [AI] James Lentini will update the NSDB specification to address Leif's
        comments.

+ LDAP Expert Review

  Kurt suggests giving all LDAP objects a common prefix, fedfs* or fedfs-*. 

  James proposed fedfs* since that would also be a legal C/C++/Java/...
  variable name.

  [AI] James Lentini will update NSDB specification to use fedfs as the prefix
       for all LDAP attribute and object type names.

+ DNS Directorate Review

  Lars Eggert directed us to start the DNS Directorate Review now rather than
  waiting until the fall.

  Craig had received a review of the DNS SRV specification with one of the 
  co-chairs of the DNS WG about 2 years. Craig had address the reviewers 
  comments at that time.

+ Weekly Meeting Schedule

  We will keep the weekly meeting. People should send agenda items to James 
  by the 5:00 PM EST on the Wednesday before meeting. If there are no items 
  we will cancel the meeting. We will touch base every two weeks to make sure 
  we are in sync.