Subject: [nfsv4] NFSv4.0 interop testing for FreeBSD8

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

I know everyone is off in v4.1 and even v4.2 land, but just in case
you are involved with a system that supports NFSv4.0 and would like
to see it interoperate with FreeBSD8.0, now would be a good time to
do some testing. There is an experimental NFS client and server that
includes NFSv4.0 support in the FreeBSD8 BETA3 just released.

If you install FreeBSD8-BETA3 on some system, "man nfsv4" should tell
you enough to get it going for AUTH_SYS, I think. If you want to do
krb5[ip] testing, the following wiki might be helpful:
   http://code.google.com/p/macnfsv4/wiki/FreeBSD8KerberizedNFSSetup

Just fyi, things that aren't yet supported:
- NFSv4 ACLs for UFS/FFS file systems
   (there is support when using ZFS, but it is still experimental in
    FreeBSD8 as well)
- Referrals
- SPKM3/Lipkey (big surprise;-)

For the FreeBSD8.0 client, there is a known bug where the client can
wedge trying to recover from a server reboot if Delegations are enabled
and a Delegation Return was in progress when the server crashed. This
will get fixed, but not for FreeBSD8.0. Also, whole file caching of
write delegated files (which I call Packrats) isn't in the release.

For the FreeBSD8 server, delegations aren't enabled by default, since
there is no recall of delegations when byte range locking is done
locally on the server (including Samba). If a volume is only being
accessed via NFS, delegations should work ok and can be turned on
via a sysctl documented in "man nfsv4".

Beta testing of FreeBSD8 will continue for about a month, rick