Subject: [nfsv4] RFS3530bis-18: OPEN is listed twice for lease renewal

From: Marcel Telka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:03:56 +0200

Hi,

In the RFC3530bis-18 I found this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.5.  Lease Renewal

   The purpose of a lease is to allow a server to remove stale locks
   that are held by a client that has crashed or is otherwise
   unreachable.  It is not a mechanism for cache consistency and lease
   renewals may not be denied if the lease interval has not expired.

   The following events cause implicit renewal of all of the leases for
   a given client (i.e., all those sharing a given client ID).  Each of
   these is a positive indication that the client is still active and
   that the associated state held at the server, for the client, is
   still valid.

   o  An OPEN with a valid client ID.

   o  Any operation made with a valid clientid (DELEGPURGE, RENEW, OPEN,
      LOCK) or a valid stateid (CLOSE, DELEGRETURN, LOCK, LOCKU, OPEN,
      OPEN_CONFIRM, OPEN_DOWNGRADE, READ, SETATTR, or WRITE).  In the
      latter case, the stateid must not be one of the special stateids
      consisting of all bits 0 or all bits 1.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The OPEN operation is listed twice as the renewal operation. It looks like the
sentence "An OPEN with a valid client ID." can be safely removed.

Thanks.

-- 
Marcel Telka
RPE, Systems

---

From: "Haynes, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:33:17 +0000

Hi Marcel,

Thanks, I'll take care of this but not push a new draft.

We can see originally we had:

   o  An OPEN with a valid clientid.

   o  Any operation made with a valid stateid (CLOSE, DELEGPURGE,
     DELEGRETURN, LOCK, LOCKU, OPEN, OPEN_CONFIRM, OPEN_DOWNGRADE,
     READ, RENEW, SETATTR, WRITE).  This does not include the special
     stateids of all bits 0 or all bits 1.

Tom

On 6/21/12 2:03 AM, "Marcel Telka" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>nfsv4 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 21:02:09 +0000

To clarify, Tom will update the I-D as the rest of the editorial process occurs.
There will be opportunities to make updates such as these along the way.

Spencer

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Haynes, Tom
> Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 1:33 PM
> To: Marcel Telka; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [nfsv4] RFS3530bis-18: OPEN is listed twice for lease renewal
> 
> Hi Marcel,
> 
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >---
> >-
> >9.5.  Lease Renewal
> >
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >---
> >-
> >
> >
> >The OPEN operation is listed twice as the renewal operation. It looks
> >like the sentence "An OPEN with a valid client ID." can be safely
> >removed.
> >
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >--
> >Marcel Telka
> >RPE, Systems