Subject: [nfsv4] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5661 (4118)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5661,
"Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5661&eid=4118

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>

Section: 20.12.3

Original Text
-------------
NOTIFY_DEVICEID4_CHANGE
  A previously provided device-ID-to-device-address mapping has
  changed and the client uses GETDEVICEINFO to obtain the updated
  mapping.  The notification is encoded in a value of data type
  notify_deviceid_change4.  This data type also contains a boolean
  field, ndc_immediate, which if TRUE indicates that the change will
  be enforced immediately, and so the client might not be able to
  complete any pending I/O to the device ID.  If ndc_immediate is
  FALSE, then for an indefinite time, the client can complete
  pending I/O.  After pending I/O is complete, the client SHOULD get
  the new device-ID-to-device-address mappings before sending new
  I/O requests to the storage devices addressed by the device ID.

Corrected Text
--------------
NOTIFY_DEVICEID4_CHANGE
  A previously provided device-ID-to-device-address mapping has
  changed and the client uses GETDEVICEINFO to obtain the updated
  mapping.  The notification is encoded in a value of data type
  notify_deviceid_change4.  This data type also contains a boolean
  field, ndc_immediate, which SHOULD be ignored by the client.
  The client may finish any outstanding I/Os that reference the
  previously provided device-ID-to-device-address mapping and SHOULD
  use GETDEVICEINFO to obtain the updated mapping for the previously
  provided device-ID-to-device-address mapping before requesting new
  layouts.  All outstanding layouts remain valid after a notification
  of type NOTIFY_DEVICEID4_CHANGE.  If the device-ID-to-device-address
  mapping changed in an incompatible way that would invalidate
  outstanding layouts, the server MUST recall all outstanding layouts
  and send a NOTIFY_DEVICEID4_DELETE notification instead.

Notes
-----
Clarify what DEVICEID4_CHANGE means vs layouts instead of I/Os. Drop the under specified ndc_immediate flag, which can't be enforced.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5661 (draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : S. Shepler, Ed., M. Eisler, Ed., D. Noveck, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network File System Version 4
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG