Subject: [nfsv4] My review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion2-27

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:11:24 -0400

Overall, this document is good shape.

*Abstract:*

Saying that the document will "focus mainly" on the 4.2 extensions, seems
to imply there is something else in the document.  As there isn't, I
suggest replacing the first sentence by:

This Internet-Draft describes NFS version 4 minor version two, presenting
the protocol extensions and other changes made from NFS version 4 minor one
.

*Section 1.[12]*:

Not sure if this goes in 1.1 or 1.2, but in one if those places we need to
state the basic rule that all operations, attributes , etc. not mentioned
in this document are to be as described in NFSv4.1.

*Section 1.3:*

Not clear that all of the 4.2 features can be subsumed under this goal.
Suggest replacing "The goal" by "A major goal".

Also this section consists two sentences. The second of these has three
interpolated bullet points followed by a clause beginning "but".

Suggest replacing the material after the bullets by the following:

NFSv4.2 provides means for clients to leverage these features on the server
in cases in which that had previously not been possible within the confines
of the NFS protocol.

*Section 1..1:*

The intraserver case of server side copy is not mentioned but should be.
Suggest replacing "from one server to another" by "from a location on one
server to another location on the same server or a different one". Also
replace "the two servers'" by "source and destination servers".

Section 1.4.2:

Suggest replacing the last sentence by This operation can be used to
support the posix_fadvise function as well as other applications such as
databases and video editors.