Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 02:13:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 of the IETF.

        Title           : NFSv4 Version Management
        Author          : David Noveck
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-05.txt
	Pages           : 57
	Date            : 2016-07-28

Abstract:
   This document describes the management of versioning within the NFSv4
   family of protocols.  It covers the creation of minor versions, the
   addition of optional features to existing minor versions, and the
   correction of flaws in features already published as Proposed
   Standards.  The rules relating to the construction of minor versions
   and the interaction of minor version implementations that appear in
   this document supersede the minor versioning rules in RFC5661.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 05:54:03 -0400

I believe this update addresses all pending comments regarding -04.  Thanks
to Mike Kupfer for his review comments.

In the next few weeks, I will be posting a -06, which adopts a somewhat
different approach to the versioning problem.

Based on the discussion at IETF96, I have decided that it is
important to have a shorter document available soon, to support our needs
to proceed with such pending extensions as xattrs and umask.

Draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00 provides an example of a
document taking such a more constrained approach and I expect that -06 will
be similar to that in its overall structure.

In producing -06, I will try to address any comments I receive on
draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00.  In order to make sure the group is in
agreement regarding our transition to a different extension model, I'm
particularly interested in people noting:

   1. Anything in draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00 that you feel is
   informational in nature and thus inappropriate in a standards-track
   document.
   2. Anything else that you feel should be pruned to make the document
   shorter and easier to get approved.
   3. Anything in draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-05 that is not in
   draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00 that you feel should be retained in -06.

My underlying assumption is that the group is agreed that we need to adopt
a more incremental extension model.  If there is anyone who disagrees, it
would be better to raise this issue now and discuss it, rather than waiting
for WGLC on draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 5:13 AM
Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-05.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4