Subject: [nfsv4] v4.0 clientaddr4 when callback service is down

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:42:10 -0800

Hi, when the NFSv4.0 client in Solaris determines that it won't be able
to accept callbacks, its SETCLIENTID request contains a clientaddr4 that
has a zero-length r_netid and a zero-length r_addr (uaddr).  RFC 5665
says that a zero-length netid is reserved, so we're looking for
something else to use.  I can't find any guidance in the RFCs for what
to use instead, and a web search didn't help, either.

We're considering a netid of "-" (NC_NOPROTO) and a zero-length uaddr.
Is anyone aware of potential problems with this approach?  Does anyone
have a better suggestion?

thanks,
mike

---

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 22:21:08 +0000

>have a better suggestion?
What the FreeBSD server has done for a very long time (and I think there was
once a concensus that it was appropriate) is to set:
r_netid = "tcp"
r_addr = "0.0.0.0.0.0"

rick

---

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:13:59 -0800 (PST)

> once a concensus that it was appropriate) is to set:

Okay, thanks!

mike

---

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 22:21:16 +0000

That should have said "FreeBSD client", but you got the idea...;-) rick

________________________________________
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 5:13:59 PM
To: Rick Macklem
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] v4.0 clientaddr4 when callback service is down

Okay, thanks!

mike