Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 03:50:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
        Authors         : David Noveck
                          Charles Lever
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01.txt
	Pages           : 661
	Date            : 2019-08-04

Abstract:
   This document describes the Network File System (NFS) version 4 minor
   version 1, including features retained from the base protocol (NFS
   version 4 minor version 0, which is specified in RFC 7530) and
   protocol extensions made subsequently.  The later minor version has
   no dependencies on NFS version 4 minor version 0, and is considered a
   separate protocol.

   This document obsoletes RFC5661.  It substantialy revises the
   treatment of features relating to multi-server namesapce superseding
   the description of those features appearing in RFC5661.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 07:20:29 -0400

I've just submitted the -01 of rfc5661sesqui-msns.    The small set of
changes from -00 reflect the discussion at IETF105, including Tom's
suggeston that we might address some of the remaining issues in rfc5661 wth
separate NFSv4-wide documents dealing with security and
internationalization.

I'm hoping to get the working group to give this document an apprpriate
review so that we can proceed to discuss it with the IESG.   Given that the
substance of this document has already been reviewed by the working group
(as draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update and as draft-ietf-nfsv4-msns-update),
it is not clear what an appropriate review should entail.  That decision is
best left to each individual working group member, keeping in mind that it
is best for us to focus that review on the parts that actually need review
given that RFC5661 is already published and that the working group has
already gone through WGLC for draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661-msns-update and
draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update.   A good way to do that, for those who
have not yet reviewed the -00, is to base the review on an rfcdiff of this
document and rfc5661, keeping in mind that the new section 11 is pretty
much the same as the section 11 replacement in
draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661-msns-update.

In doing the rfcdiff there are a few things to take note of:

   - An rfcdiff of rfc5661
   against draft-ietf-nfsv4-rf5661sesqui-msns-01.txt (produced with xml2rfc
   version 2) produces a number of spurious diffs, because version 2 formats
   some things differently than version 1 which produced rfc5661 (principally
   text tables).  I've found it helpful to rfcdiff against a .txt produced
   using xml2rfc version 1 (at  https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/old.html).
    I have such a .txt file and will send it to anyone who asks.
   - A lot of differences show up only because of reference renumbering.
   Given that there are new normative references, all informative references
   get a new higher reference id given that rfc5661 was done with numeric
   references :-(
   - There is an annoying bug in rfcdiff that causes it to think
   (incorrectly) that the new .txt file has dropped sections 18.45 through the
   end of Section 19 and then ignore all the actualdiffs beyond that (e.g the
   new and changed appendices).   I have sent mail to Henrik Lewkowetz, who
   apparently deals with issues in rfcdiff but some email communication issues
   have resulted in a situation in which it might be a while before the issue
   is fixed..   Luckily, it only screws up past the point where rfcdiff is
   useful in showing changes within the document.

It is probably most useful to focus the review on the following sections
which are either new or significantly changed from the corresponing
sections in draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661-msns-update:

   - the Abstract (siginificantly revised from the one in rfc561)
   - Section 1.1, which is new.
   - Section 2.10.4 which has a significant update beyond the corresponding
   section in draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661-msns-update.
   - Section 11.6, which is new (i.e. it didn't appear
   in draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661-msns-update).
   - Section 22.1, which is new.
   - Appendices A, B, C which are new.
   - The Acknowledgments Section (was Appendix A; is now Appendix D) which
   has been restructured to include acknowledgments for both rfc5661 and the
   update.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 6:50 AM
Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01.txt
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 WG of the
IETF.

        Title           : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version
1 Protocol
        Authors         : David Noveck
                          Charles Lever
        Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-01.txt
        Pages           : 661
        Date            : 2019-08-04

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4