Subject: [NNTP] Changes to draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-03

From: ken at oceana.com (Ken Murchison)
Date: Tue Oct 12 18:22:50 2004

Based on list traffic, here are the only changes that I have to this 
draft for a -04 revision (and hopefully WGLC).  I'm not sure if the 
"MUST NOT return either 480 or 483" is correct grammar.  Should this be 
"either 480 nor 483", should I remove "either", or is there better 
english available that I'm too thick to come up with?

@@ -233,8 +225,8 @@
  a connection with these properties.  The client MAY therefore send
  STARTTLS after receiving a 483 response; the client also MAY decide to
  send STARTTLS without previously receiving a 483 response.
-Additionally, the server MUST NOT return 483 in response to the
-STARTTLS command.
+Additionally, the server MUST NOT return either 480 or 483 in response
+to the STARTTLS command.

  If the server is unable to initiate the TLS negotiation for any reason
  (e.g. a server configuration or resource problem), the server MUST
@@ -289,8 +281,8 @@
  is not high enough for it to continue, it SHOULD issue a QUIT command
  immediately after the TLS negotiation is complete.  If the NNTP server
  decides that the level of authentication or privacy is not high enough
-for it to continue, it SHOULD either reject further NNTP commands from
-the client (other than a QUIT command) with a 483 response code
+for it to continue, it SHOULD either reject further restricted NNTP
+commands from the client with a 483 response code
  (possibly with a text string such as "Command refused due to lack of
  security"), or reject a command with a 400 response code (possibly
  with a text string such as "Connection closing due to lack of

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: clive at demon.net (Clive D.W. Feather)
Date: Mon Oct 18 02:27:23 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> "MUST NOT return either 480 or 483" is correct grammar.

It is for me.

> Should this be 
> "either 480 nor 483", should I remove "either",

No. If you want to use "nor", the correct English is "... must return
neither 480 nor 483 ...", but that doesn't use "MUST NOT" and isn't good
RFC-speak.

> or is there better 

I think what you have is fine.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |