Subject: [NNTP] Advertise maximum article size in CAPABILITIES

From: River Tarnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 17:14:17 +0000

(Re-sending this because it didn't appear again; I know I'm subscribed 
this time, so I think the S/MIME signature must be the problem.)

Hi,

I propose an extension to the NNTP protocol: a server should advertise 
the maximum article size it is willing to accept in CAPABILITIES, via a 
new "SIZE <nbytes>" capability.  A client should not offer any article 
(via POST, IHAVE, CHECK or TAKETHIS) which is larger than that size.

Rationale: no need to configure maximum article size to send to every 
peer; allows peers to change the maximum article size they want to 
accept without having to contact all their peers to change the config; 
allows clients posting multi-part messages (i.e., binaries) to split 
messages based on the server-suggested size.

Real-world use: I can allow articles up to 1MB from a text-only peer, 
while restricting articles from a peer that carries unfiltered binaries 
to 32KB.

I haven't implemented this or done any interoperability checking yet; 
I'm happy to do that and write an I-D/RFC for it myself if it seems like 
a good idea.

Regards,
- -- 
        -- river.                      | Free Usenet: http://news.rt.uk.eu.org/
Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:   | PGP: 2B9CE6F2
    Negative expectations yield negative results.
    Positive expectations yield negative results.

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:21:57 -0800

> this time, so I think the S/MIME signature must be the problem.)

Gah.  Yes.  I'm sorry.  This is fixed now.  I was looking in the wrong
place in the list configuration.

I'e just removed all the restrictions on MIME types.  There shouldn't be
any need for that.

> (via POST, IHAVE, CHECK or TAKETHIS) which is larger than that size.

I like this idea.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>