Subject: [Nsis-imp] RE: question about GIMPS-Data messages

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:02:22 +0100

hi georgios,

sorry for the delay, especially since the answer is (IMHO) quite 
simple ;-)

A GIMPS-Data message is used when GIMPS needs to transfer some 
signalling data but doesn't need to do any routing state maintenance 
or set up a messaging association. (In other words, it's an 
'ordinary' message which has no role other than to transfer an 
NSLP-Data payload.) 

so far as the encapsulation is concerned, the three choices 
from -05 (5.3.1/5.3.2/5.4.2) apply. If you know the routing state 
you can use 'normal datagram mode'; if you have a messaging 
association as well you can use connection mode; if you don't 
know either you may be able to use query mode. The choice is 
up to the message sender, but largely irrelevant to the message 
receiver.

in the next version, we'll include a table of the allowed type/encapsulation
combinations, a bit like the following...

   +----------------+----------------+----------------+----------------+
   |     Message    |  D-Mode Normal |  D-Mode Query  |     C-Mode     |
   +----------------+----------------+----------------+----------------+
   |   GIMPS-Query  |      Never     |     Always     |      Never     |
   |                |                |                |                |
   | GIMPS-Response |    Unless a    |      Never     | If a messaging |
   |                |    messaging   |                | association is |
   |                | association is |                |  being re-used |
   |                |  being re-used |                |                |
   |                |                |                |                |
   |  GIMPS-Confirm |    Unless a    |      Never     | If a messaging |
   |                |    messaging   |                |   association  |
   |                |   association  |                |  has been set  |
   |                |  has been set  |                | up or is being |
   |                | up or is being |                |     re-used    |
   |                |     re-used    |                |                |
   |                |                |                |                |
   |   GIMPS-Data   |   If routing   |  If no routing | If a messaging |
   |                |  state exists  |  state exists  |   association  |
   |                |  for the flow  |   and the MRI  |     exists     |
   |                |     but no     | can be used to |                |
   |                |   appropriate  |   derive the   |                |
   |                |    messaging   |      query     |                |
   |                |   association  |  encapsulation |                |
   +----------------+----------------+----------------+----------------+

hope this helps!

robert h.

-----Original Message-----
From: Georgios Karagiannis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 30 March 2005 09:31
To: Hancock, Robert
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: question about GIMPS-Data messages

Hi Robert and all

In Section 5.1 of  draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-05.txt, in addition to GIMPS-Query,
GIMPS-Response, 
GIMPS-Confirm another message is specified, i.e.,:
GIMPS-Data.

Could you give an example on where the GIMPS-Data messages are used?

How is the addressing of  the GIMPS-Data messages performed?
In downstream using (typically) IP source and IP destination address of the
flow
In upstream using previuos hop addressing.

Best Regards,
Georgios

_______________________________________________
NSIS-imp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis-imp