Subject: [Nsis-imp] QoS in mobile environments

From: Bernd Schloer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:25:45 +0200

Hello Hong and all,

FMIPv6 minimizes the Layer-3 handoff delay caused by binding updates and
getting a new ip address. A forwarding path is set up from previous AR (pAR)
to new AR (nAR) to avoid packet loss. Context Transfer, as described e.g. in
draft-fu-cxtp-gist-01.txt, improves the performance by transferring
state context from pAR to nAR.

Before a handoff takes place it has to be ensured that the new AP can
provide the desired QoS. Otherwise a handoff would be useless. Once a
handoff is performed, GIST has to perform rerouting and inform the QoS
NSLP over the API (NetworkNotification) about the route change. The QoS
NSLP has to make a reservation on the new path and tear down reservation
on the old path.

For an experimental implementation to demonstrate a very simple handoff
in a general Internet environment could the Signal Strength be used as
movement detection and as a handoff criteria? Is there anything more to
consider between Link Layer and Layer-3? Performance Enhancing Proxies
(RFC 3135) for example could be used to improve TCP performance in wireless
LAN environments.

Bernd

_______________________________________________
NSIS-imp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis-imp