Subject: [NSIS] draft on QoS signaling req

From: Cedric Westphal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:44:39 -0800

Marcus,

I read your document. I have some minor comments that I'll send to the
mailing list later. Here is my main comment though: I like the way
you describe the framework and try to abstract the QoS problem.
I think it is a nice idea to abstract the many entities that can request
QoS as QoS initiator, or the entities that do the CAC or the
provisioning
as QoS controller.
But I was disappointed that you did not pursue this logic further: there
are many end points for the QoS path, and there are many flows that
request the QoS. So reading your document, I was thinking it would be
cool to have such things abstracted as well:
o- a QoS flow is a single connection, a few connections, or an aggregate
of
connection for which the QoS initiator requests QoS. It could be all the
flows
with a given DSCP (for domain provisioning), or all the QoS provisioned
streams from a
given user (for context transfer), or just one single stream.
o- the QoS initiator requests QoS for a QoS path. The QoS path is
specified by
its two end points
and a (possibly two) direction(s). The end point is either an IP address
or a
functional point.
The functional point is a point for which the QoS initiator does not
know an IP
address, but
knows for its function. This could be for instance: the egress router
out of
the QoS domain for
a given destination address (for domain wide provisioning), the uplink
crossover router between the
new path and the old path (for QoS re-establishment after handoff), the
Mobility Anchor Point
(in Localized Mobility Management domains), the access router of a CN
(for a
server provisioning
QoS to a wireless user), etc...

Note that abstracting these concepts into the framework make some of the
requirements
implicit: aggregability, for instance, or the ability for the signaling
to
identify a point by its function,
or the uni- vs. bidirectional QoS.

If you agree, I can submit some modifications to you.
Thanks,

Cedric.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:56:32 +0100

Hi Cedric,

another important issue at some stage of the NSIS requirements is terminology

> o- a QoS flow is a single connection, a few connections, or 
>    an aggregate of connection for which the QoS initiator
>    requests QoS. 

IP generally provides a connectionless service. A useful term to replace "connection" might be "resource reservation" or "reservation".

Regards, Rüdiger