Subject: [NSIS] list of discussion points

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:55:53 +0100

Hi nsis guys,

I just said in the session, that I will send around a list of discussion points. So here they are. And again, I would like to see a number of scenarios we really want to work on and define in and out of scope stuff asap.

And thanks to the many guys helped me (see the author list of http://www.epic.roke.co.uk/epic/draft-brunner-nsis-req-00.txt and it will be availabe soon in the repository)

Here the list without too much explanation:

-Decouple the information carried from the protocol carrying it
	-what is the boundary, e.g., reservation lifetime,
	 (attribute of reservation itself <-> softness/hardness of
	 the state of the protocol )

-Authentication of reservation
	-who needs to be authenticated (host, IP interface, user)?
	-to whom (proxy, one or multiple networks)?

-Modularity
	-a single solution with components  (selection can be
	 negotiated)
	-a single solution with components that can be selectively
	 ignored without harming interoperability (at some reduced
	 level of performance/whatever)
	-a toolbox out of which solutions can be created to match
	 individual scenarios (e.g. adding QoS to MIP, adding QoS
	 so seamoby ?)

- Multicast (greis, pan) <-> no multicast (others)

- integration with layer 2
	-prevent duplication of functionality
	-initiator is not directly connected to the link (NSIS
	 signalling has to carry some link related information)
	-the initiator is directly connected to the link, we might
	 end up with the same logical information being signalled
	 semi-consistently at two layers in the system, making life
	 very hard for the implementations

- integration with application signaling
	-prevent duplication of functionality
	-SIP/SDP interworking with NSIS

- scalability: in what???

-signaling across multiple administrative domains
	(Karagiannis (no), others (yes)
	out of scope of NSIS?

-number of signaling protocols
	-one
	-more
	-one signaling transport plus toolbox

-simplicity
	-Greis emphasises simplicity in mobile hosts (processing 	 power)
	-Karagiannis emphasises simplicity in the network

-layer alignment
	-Greis emphasises closeness to applications
	-Karagiannis implies ease of mapping within interior nodes,
	 i.e. at lower layers, forcing more interpretation work
	 into the initiators

-independence of data and signaling path (or not?)

--------
Marcus Brunner
Nework Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~brunner

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:40:32 +0100

> - scalability: in what???

This is an essential feature. I would suggest:
 - in number of (transit) signaling messages
 - in number of installed reservation states

> 	(Karagiannis (no), others (yes)

I think that this is definitely required.
For many admission control scenarios it should be 
possible to have real end-to-end signaling which
spans multiple domains.

> -independence of data and signaling path (or not?)

IMHO independence should be preferred, but in this case
the control plane should know what the actual data path 
is. It would be nice to remove the signaling processing 
burden from routers and to keep the "signaling processing
nodes" out of data path processing. 

Regards,
 Roland

[looking forward to the meeting minutes...]

-- 
Roland Bless -- e-Mail: [email-masked]
Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe, Germany  
Zirkel 2, D-76128 Karlsruhe -- Office: Bld. 20.20, 3rd floor, R 358
Phone: +49 721 608-6413 Fax: +49 721 388097

---

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:36:53 +0100

Hi Roland,

>  - in number of installed reservation states

I find this approach quite interesting. Recently, I've done some 
investigation on this aspect. The work focuses on the tradeoff 
between the reduction of signaling messages due to reservation
aggregation and the resulting bandwidth inefficiency due
to the required overreservation.
http://www-info3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/TR/tr278.pdf

@inproceedings{MenthITC17,
   author    = {Menth, Michael},
   title     = "{A Scalable Protocol Architecture for End-to-End 
                 Signaling and Resource Reservation in IP Networks}",
   booktitle = {$17^{th}$ International Teletraffic Congress},
   pages     = {211-222},
   year      = {2001},
   month     = {December}
}

Kind regards, Michael

-- 
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Menth
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room A212
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www-info3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth