Subject: [NSIS] i-d on NSIS framework

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:38:42 -0000

Dear all,

In parallel with the requirements work, we have also spent some time gathering thoughts on an actual design framework for NSIS. Among other things, we think this should be helpful to clarify thinking about what some of the requirements could (or should) mean.

The draft was submitted quite close to the cut off time and so might be a little time getting through the processing queues. In the meantime, it is available for the impatient at
http://www.epic.roke.co.uk/epic/draft-hancock-nsis-framework-00.txt

The complete document is quite long, but the conclusions section contains a more concise summary of the open issues we discovered (many security related). Enjoy!

Robert Hancock, Siemens/RMR

Abstract:

   This Internet Draft presents a framework for further development of 
   QoS signaling in the Internet. We give a basic model for the 
   entities involved in QoS signaling, which is intended to be 
   applicable to a very wide range of networking environments, while 
   still retaining the flexibility to allow lightweight implementations 
   in particular environments and incremental deployment in the 
   Internet as a whole. 
    
   As well as the details of the framework itself, we also relate it to 
   the NSIS requirements work by mapping the framework to the 
   requirements themselves. We also present an initial assessment of 
   the applicability of existing QoS mechanisms to be used within the 
   framework. Security, scalability, and resilience are considered as 
   special issues. The framework leaves open a number of questions 
   relating to tradeoffs between simplicity and flexibility, and these 
   are summarized in the conclusions.