Subject: [NSIS] framework: proposal on bundling

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:01:39 +0100

Dear all,

We have a set of outanding issues on 'transport-like functions' and where they
should go in the NTLP/NSLP layer model. I'd like to make a sequence of proposals
about how these should be resolved, starting with the easy ones...

'Bundling' is 'getting more than one signalling application message into a 
single network layer message'. (It was introduced as an RSVP option in 2961,
essentially for performance reasons.)

My proposal is that the NTLP should support bundling. (A more precise statement:
an NTLP instance is free to decide whether or not to bundle messages together;
however, it should always be prepared to receive them - on the grounds that 
implementing de-bundling is simpler than implementing a negotiation procedure.
implementing bundling is somewhat less trivial.) 

Based on past verbal/m.l. discussions i think this is not too controversial, 
here is the reasoning:
*) whether or not messages are in a bundle has no semantic significance, and
no significance beyond the NTLP-hop over which they are bundled.
*) if only NSLPs could bundle, this would significantly restrict the scope
for doing this (only messages for the same signalling application could be
bundled).
*) bundling affects addressing - a bundled message has to be explicitly 
addressed (not implicitly+router alert addressed), only the NTLP has the 
intelligence to work out how/whether this is possible.
*) we don't prevent an NSLP providing an NTLP with a group of messages to send
at once (and recommending that the NTLP deliver them as a group) but this
is mainly an implementation/API issue. The NTLP may have to unbundle them
anyway.

any objections?

r.
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:57:37 -0400

> My proposal is that the NTLP should support bundling.

We've agreed that the protocol will be based on RFCs 2205
and 2961, and 2961 does support bundling (with some
constraints).  This is reflected in the current state of the
draft.  There are some difficulties around the use of
bundling together with the reliable delivery mechanism but
I believe these can be resolved.

Melinda