Subject: [NSIS] NTLP, fairness

From: Attila Báder (IJ/ETH)<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:37:00 +0100

Hi Henning and Robert,

I have a question regarding the datagram and connection op. modes in NTLP. Can/should NTLP provide some fairness between traffic transported in datagram and connection modes? Earlier we discussed that if messages transported by TCP and UDP use the same resources, UDP traffic suffers from the slow start of TCP. It can be an issue if there are large signaling messages or more signaling messages are multiplexed in an STCP message. What we would like to transport are short NSLP messages with low delay.  

Best regards, Attila

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:12:51 -0500

Nothing prevents NTLP nodes from implementing meta-signaling, using 
DiffServ marking or setting up resources for specific protocols or 
ports. I don't think that this requires explicit protocol support. (I 
suspect that the condition you refer to will be rather rare, only 
occurring in severely bandwidth-challenged environments. If your network 
has difficulty delivering the signaling, there's probably not much room 
left for doing real work.)

Attila Báder (IJ/ETH) wrote:

> Hi Henning and Robert,
> 
> I have a question regarding the datagram and connection op. modes in
> NTLP. Can/should NTLP provide some fairness between traffic
> transported in datagram and connection modes? Earlier we discussed
> that if messages transported by TCP and UDP use the same resources,
> UDP traffic suffers from the slow start of TCP. It can be an issue if
> there are large signaling messages or more signaling messages are
> multiplexed in an STCP message. What we would like to transport are
> short NSLP messages with low delay.
> 
> Best regards, Attila