Subject: [NSIS] QoS NSLP - MRM identification in PACKET_CLASSIFIER

From: Andrew McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:20:34 +0100

Hi all,

In one reviewer's comments of the QoS NSLP, it was pointed out that the 
'Message-Routing-Method' component of the PACKET_CLASSIFIER (the first 
two bytes) is redundant, since it will always be the same as the MRM at 
the GIST layer.

This is currently logged as issue 93 in the QoS NSLP issue tracker:
http://nsis.srmr.co.uk/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/nsis-qos-nslp-issues/issue93

I propose to remove this part of the PACKET_CLASSIFIER. Not only is it 
duplication of information already available over the GIST API, it also 
gives us some extra error cases to handle (e.g. where it doesn't match 
the GIST MRM). If we don't remove it, then we will need to work out what 
additional error codes are needed.

Any opposition to this change? (Or agreement with it?)

regards,

Andrew

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 12:50:20 +0300 (EEST)

Fine with me. Still, with the current path-coupled MRM of 2 bytes, we 
probably should add 2 bytes of padding (or reserved bits) to make the 
object a multiple of 32 bits, e.g.,

From

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|    Message-Routing-Method     |                               |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+                               +
//          Method-specific classifier data (variable)         //
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|X|Y|P|T|F|S|A|B|   Reserved    |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

to

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
//          Method-specific classifier data (variable)         //
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|X|Y|P|T|F|S|A|B|                      Reserved                  |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Jukka

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Andrew McDonald wrote:

> 'Message-Routing-Method' component of the PACKET_CLASSIFIER (the first two
> bytes) is redundant, since it will always be the same as the MRM at the GIST
> layer.
> 
> duplication of information already available over the GIST API, it also gives
> us some extra error cases to handle (e.g. where it doesn't match the GIST
> MRM). If we don't remove it, then we will need to work out what additional
> error codes are needed.
>