Subject: [NSIS] FW: [PCN] PCN (Pre-Congestion Notification) draft charter

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:08:33 +0100

Copy for info, as think this PCN (pre-congestion notification) work is
relevant to your WG.

Please send replies to the PCN mailing list, [email-masked]  - you can
subscribe at

http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

thanks. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 04 September 2006 10:07
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PCN] PCN (Pre-Congestion Notification) draft charter

We are hoping to organize a BOF on PCN (pre-congestion notification) at
the next IETF. Some of us have now put together a first draft of a
Charter - below. We'd very much appreciate your comments and suggestions
- for instance: is the scope right? Is the range of deployment models
ok? Is it a reasonable set of milestones and are the timescales ok?

We're now working on a Problem Statement draft. 

Thanks.

PCN Draft Charter (Pre-Congestion Notification)

The PCN BOF (WG) will tackle the problem of how to provide scalable,
resilient admission control and strong QoS assurance while using packet
marking techniques. Current attempts to deliver QoS using only packet
marking (e.g. DiffServ) are limited in the level of QoS assurance that
can be provided without substantial over-provisioning. To improve the
QoS assurance, PCN will add flow admission control and flow pre-emption.
In normal circumstances admission control should protect the QoS of
previously admitted flows. In times of heavy congestion (for example
caused by route changes due to link or router failure) pre-emption of
some flows should preserve the QoS of remaining flows.

The initial scope of the BOF (WG) is the use of PCN within a single
DiffServ region. The overall approach will be based on a separation of
functionality between the interior routers and edge nodes of the
DiffServ region. Interior routers mark packet headers when their traffic
is above a certain level, as an early warning of incipient congestion
("pre-congestion"); this builds on concepts from RFC 3168 "The Addition
of Explicit Congestion Notification to IP". Edge nodes of the DiffServ
Region monitor the markings and that information is used to make flow
admission control and pre-emption decisions. The decisions could be made
by the edge nodes or by a centralised system (which is informed of the
edge nodes' measurements). 

The WG will address the following specific problems and develop
standards track solutions to them:

*                     When should an interior router mark a packet (i.e.
at what traffic level) in order to give early warning of its own
congestion?

*                     How should such a mark be encoded in a packet (in
the ECN and/or DSCP fields)?

*                     How should these markings (at packet granularity)
be converted into admission control and flow pre-emption decisions (at
flow granularity)?

To support this, the WG will work on the following Informational
documents:

*                     a Problem Statement, to describe the problems the
group is tackling and the assumptions made

*                     at least two deployment models, initially to help
focus the problem statement and later to check that the solutions being
developed satisfy the deployment scenario. Possible deployment models
may be: 

o        IntServ over DiffServ (RFC2998): the DiffServ region is
PCN-enabled and its edge nodes decide about admission and flow
pre-emption

o        SIP-controlled PCN: routers within the DiffServ region are
PCN-capable and trusted SIP endpoints (gateway or host) perform
admission and flow pre-emption  

o        Pseudowire: PCN may be used as a congestion avoidance mechanism
for end-user deployed pseudowires (collaborate with the PWE3 WG)

*                      a generic analysis of the signalling extensions
required to support PCN. Note that extensions/enhancements to specific
signalling protocols (e.g. RSVP, NSIS, SIP) will not be done in the PCN
WG.

*                     at least one example solution implementing the
framework and its performance evaluation (e.g. simulation results), to
provide evidence of the viability of the proposed standard in the
proposed deployment models

*                     an analysis of the tradeoffs of different encoding
possibilities (e.g. ECN and DCSP marking)

The initial scope of the WG will restrict the problem space in the
following ways:

*                     By assuming the PCN-enabled Internet Region is a
controlled environment, i.e. all the interior routers and edge nodes of
the region run PCN and trust each other

*                     By assuming there are many flows on any bottleneck
link in the PCN-enabled region 

*                     By focusing on the QoS assurance required by real
time applications generating inelastic traffic like voice and video
requiring low delay, jitter and packet loss, i.e. as defined by the
Controlled Load  Service [RFC2211]. 

Subsequent re-chartering may investigate solutions for when some of
these restrictions are not in place. 

Topics out of scope for the WG include a general investigation of
admission control mechanisms.

The WG will draw on the substantial prior academic and IETF work on
measurement-based admission control. 

Milestones

Nov 2006          initial Problem statement

Nov 2006          initial deployment models

March 2007        initial router marking behaviour (including encoding)

March 2007        initial flow admission control and pre-emption
mechanism (including edge node measurements)

March/July 2007   submit Problem statement

March/July 2007   submit deployment models

Nov 2007          submit router marking behaviour

Nov 2007/Mar 2008 submit flow admission control and pre-emption
mechanism

Nov 2007          initial signalling analysis

Mar 2008          re-charter or close

Philip Eardley

Networks Researcher

BT Group 

Phone:              +44 (0)1473 645938

Fax :                 +44 (0)1473 640929

Email:               [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> 

BT MeetMe:      +44 (0)870 241 2994 

Passcode:         16851189#

BT Group plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England and Wales no. 4190816   This electronic message
contains information from BT Group plc which may be privileged or
confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received
this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email
(to the numbers or address above) immediately. Activity and use of the
BT Group plc E-mail system is monitored to secure its effective
operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using
this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure
effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis