Subject: Re: [NSIS] Session Lifetime processing question [Section 3.4]

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:26:31 +0200

Hi Rui,

Am 22.08.2006 um 11:20 schrieb Rui Vilão:

> I'm from University of Coimbra and I'm currently implementing NATFW  
> version 12.
>
> When processing the session lifetime object in a NF upstream node,  
> after a successful response from the NR, as described in section  
> 3.4 , one of three things can happen:
>
> - everything is OK, the response message continues to be forward;
> - session lifetime is greater than the stored value, generates an  
> error response message;
> - session lifetime is smaller than the acceptable value for the  
> node, generates an error response message.
>
> What to do when generating such an error response message?
>
> Is the default action of the response message to continue upstream  
> with the proper error code? In this case what happens to the  
> entities already signalled? Is the request deleted due to the soft- 
> states or should we send a specific notify message towards the NR?

You are right. There is some error processing missing here. I just  
came across the same issue when doing the last round of proof reading.

The error code will be propagated from the NF detecting the lifetime  
issue (upstream **) to the NI. There is currently no notification of  
this error condition towards the NR, leaving all NFs and the NR  
already having seen the response in an undesired state. I.e., storing  
NSLP signaling sessions that are basically not valid/needed.

My proposal: NFs running in such an error condition must additionally  
send a NOTIFY towards the NR. This NOTIFY can information the NFs on  
the way to NR and the NR about the error condition. The NOTIFY  
semantics would need to be adapted to this, because currently NOTIFY  
messages are only allowed to be sent towards the NI.

** Trying to avoid upstream/downstream terminology for the NSLP level  
starting NOW! ;-)

   Martin
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:26:31 +0200

Hi Rui,

   Martin