Subject: [NSIS] Updated version of NSIS extensibility draft submitted (draft-ietf-nsis-ext-01)

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 14:22:42 +0000

Hi.

I have updated the NSIS extensibility draft to take account of the
comments from Martin and Hannes, plus making sure that it is clear what
the IANA/IETF requirements ae for various types of extensions as well as
providing guidelines.  This last exercise is (I hope) in line with
Magnus' comments at the last IETF.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-ext-01.txt

Otherwise, the major change is to greatly extend the commentary on
packet interception mechanism extensions.

Please take a look:  I think it is probably ready for WGLC, but if
anybody has immediate concerns I can cycle another set of changes
through before the draft deadline.

Unfortunately I will not be at the nsis meeting (scheduled for Thursday)
in San Francisco as I have to leave on Wednesday.

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Gerald Ash <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:30:52 -0800 (PST)

Draft looks good.  Two comments:
 
1. Section 8.4, last paragraph:
 
"  The QSpec Template supports situations where the QoS parameters need
   to be fine-grained, specifically targeted to an individual flow in
   one part of the network (typically the edge or access part) but might
   need to be more coarse-grained, where the flow is part of an
   aggregate (typically in the core of the network)."
 
This may be true, but a) it's not explicitly discussed in the QSPEC document, and b) it's not clear what it has to do with extensibility.  Suggest that you substitute some words more related to extensibility, e.g., the text in Section 3.2 regarding new versions of the qspec:
 
"  The QSPEC consists of a QSPEC version number and QSPEC objects.  IANA
   assigns a new QSPEC version number when changes that are not
   backwards compatible are made to the QSPEC and this document is
   reissued.  Note that a new QSPEC version number is not needed when
   new QSPEC parameters are specified.  Later QSPEC versions MUST be
   backward compatible with earlier QSPEC versions.  That is, a version
   n+1 device must support QSPEC version n (or earlier).  On the other
   hand, if a QSPEC version n (or earlier) device receives an NSLP
   message specifying QSPEC version n+1, then the version n device
   responds with an 'Incompatible QSPEC' error code (0x0f) response, as
   discussed in Section 4.2.3, allowing the QNE that sent the NSLP
   message to retry with a lower QSPEC version."
 
2. Section 12.1
 
"  [I-D.ietf-nsis-qspec]
              Bader, A., Kappler, C., and D. Oran, "QoS NSLP QSPEC
              Template", draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-21 (work in progress),
              November 2008."
 
Please update to include the first co-author (G. Ash) in that reference :-)  I realized that the "automatic" pick-up in IETF tools doesn't work, and they don't seem able to fix it.  So please update it manually.
 
Thanks,
Jerry

--- On Wed, 3/4/09, Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Subject: [NSIS] Updated version of NSIS extensibility draft submitted (draft-ietf-nsis-ext-01)
To: "nsis" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Loughney John (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>, "Roland Bless" <[email-masked]>, "MARTIN Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>, "Jukka MJ Manner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2009, 9:22 AM

Hi.

Regards,
Elwyn
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis