Subject: [NSIS] fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip-00

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:35:29 +0200

Dear NSIS WG members,

(announcement sent to NSIS and MMUSIC lists)

this draft examines how the NSIS NATFW NSLP (and other firewall control
protocols) work together with SIP, especially if something goes wrong.
The conclusion is basically that the normal SIP mechanisms are not
sufficient to handle all error conditions in a reasonable way, and
therefore a new SIP precondition should be standardized. 
This would be the turf of the mmusic WG, therefore comments should
go to the mmusic list.

Thanks,
Sebastian

----- Forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]> -----

From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip-00 
Date: Mon,  6 Jul 2009 01:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

A new version of I-D, draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip-00.txt has been successfuly submitted by Sebastian Kiesel and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Interaction of dynamic firewall control protocols and SIP
Creation_date:	 2009-07-06
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 21

Abstract:
SIP-based multimedia applications dynamically negotiate parameters
for the related media streams, such as UDP port numbers.  Therefore,
firewalls that want to inspect these streams have to interact with
the session signaling.  Several architectures and protocols have been
developed for the dynamic control of firewalls on the media path, e.
g., MIDCOM, SIMCO, and the NSIS NAT/FW NSLP.  This document
investigates problems with the interaction of standard SIP (as of RFC
3261) and these firewall control protocols, especially with respect
to error handling.  It will be pointed out how existing SIP
extensions can be used for improving the interaction, and which
additional mechanisms need to be specified.  While the actual
specification of such additional mechanisms is out of the scope of
this document, it solicits feedback and discussion.

The IETF Secretariat.

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Sebastian Kiesel            mailto:[email-masked]
Network Research Division   tel:+49-6221-4342-232   fax:+49-6221-4342-155
NEC Laboratories Europe     Kurfuerstenanlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
--
NEC Europe Limited          Registered in England 2832014
Registered Office           NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL