Subject: [NSIS] AD review of draft-ietf-nsis-y1541-qosm-07

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:47:49 +0200

Hi,

Here are my AD comments on Y.1541 QoSM.

1. Section 2.2: Please include units for all the parameters that has units.

2. Section 3.1: Reference for IEEE floating point spec is missing.

3. Section 3.1: What are the definitions of the Bp and M parameter?

4. Section 3.2: Why are there a discussion in the document for what the
reserved bits may be used to? Aren't they either reserved for future
extension or fully defined? If reserved the current sender and receiver
behavior need to be defined. Normally; SHALL be set to 0 and SHALL be
ignored on reception.

5. Section 5:
This section defines the registries and initial codepoint assignments
   for the QSPEC template, in accordance with BCP 26 [RFC5226].  It also
   defines the procedural requirements to be followed by IANA in
   allocating new codepoints.

This seems copied from the QSPEC document. It needs to reworded to
correctly indicate what it does. I would also put have subsection for
each of the IANA actions the draft do defines:

1. Register two QOSEC Parameters
2. Define a new registry for Restoriation Priority Parameter.

6. Section 6. I don't quite believe that there are no additional
security considerations around either the model nor the added
parameters. They may very well be handled by the mechanism in the QoS
NSLP and QSPEC documents. But I think you need to at least bring up the
security issues the model and the new parameters introduce.

Please review my comments and revise the document as you find
appropriate. If you find me in error or have other suggestions please
tell me and the WG.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------