Subject: [ntpwg] Watchdog Timer in Autokey draft

From: "Greg Dowd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:24:56 -0700

Current Definition:
Every NTP association has two variables which maintain the liveness
   state of the protocol, the 8-bit reachability register defined in [7]
   and the watchdog timer, which is new in NTPv4.  
Proposed definition:
Every NTP association has two variables which maintain the liveness
   state of the protocol, the 8-bit reachability register defined in [7]
   and the watchdog timer.

Reason:
Although the Autokey doc is only informative, there is NO DEFINITION OF
WATCHDOG IN NTP.  
Therefore, stating that this is a new feature of NTPv4 means that we
either have to redefine NTPv4
to include this or, more simply, just remove the offending text.

  
Greg Dowd
gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
Symmetricom, Inc.
www.symmetricom.com <blocked::http://www.symmetricom.com/> 
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
Einstein
 
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:57:51 -0400

Greg,
      I have no problem with making this change.

Regards,
Brian

Greg Dowd wrote:
> Although the Autokey doc is only informative, there is NO DEFINITION OF WATCHDOG IN NTP.  
> 
> Therefore, stating that this is a new feature of NTPv4 means that we either have to redefine NTPv4
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "David L. Mills" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:12:13 +0000

Brian,

I have no problem with any of the suggested changes.

However, I do have a number of technical corrections and foopaws 
scattered through the document. If you have not edited the XML I tossed 
over the fence, I can make the corrections and again toss it over the 
fence. If you have edited the XML, maybe the best way is to toss it back 
to me, I do my thing and toss it back. Your choice.

Dave

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:52:01 -0400

Removing the phrase "which is new in NTPv4" is okay but watchdog timer 
must be defined somewhere if it is mentioned. I've never heard the term 
but then I rarely get into that area of the code.

Danny

---

From: "David L. Mills" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:00:38 +0000

Danny,

The "watchdog timer" is the unreach variable in the NTPv4 specification. 
It has nothing to do with Autokey per se. I will amend the wording to 
make tha clear.

Dave