Subject: [ntpwg] Handling KOD packets

From: Johannes Maximilian K�hn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 00:41:26 +0900

Hello NTP workgroup,

I'm Max, the GSoC student working on the sntp client. I have a few
questions regarding KOD packets. 

First of all I should say that the sntp client I'm writing will get a 
"daemon wrapper" but wont run as daemon out of the box so the KOD packet
records wouldn't be long in its memory. 

When a KOD has been received, how long should the record of this
KOD package be valid? Is there a certain amount of time after which we
can ignore that we've received KOD packet from a server once?

When a server sends a KOD packet, will it treat the timestamps as usual?
(moving the transmit timestamp to the origin timestamp. I'm comparing
the origin timestamp of the packet the client received after sending a
packet with the transmit timestamp to the server before to see if the 
client received the right packet) Or is there any other special 
behavior besides that described in the NTPv4 document?

In case a client cannot permanently save records of the KOD packets it
received before, is there any suggested behavior or solution to improve
the sntp client's capabilities to deal with KOD packets then? 
The last question is probably a bit strange. 

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any input.

Max
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:59:04 -0400

> Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any input.

See Section 7.4 of the current draft: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-09.txt
which should tell you everything you need to know. If there is something 
you are still not clear about after you've read it please ask.

Danny