Subject: [ntpwg] Protocol Action: 'Network Time Protocol Version 4 Protocol And Algorithms Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Network Time Protocol Version 4 Protocol And Algorithms Specification '
   <draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13.txt

Technical Summary:

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize computer
clocks in the Internet. This document describes NTP Version 4 (NTPv4),
which is backwards compatible with NTP Version 3 (NTPv3) described in
RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol. NTPv4 includes a
modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet Protocol Version 6
address family. NTPv4 includes fundamental improvements in the
mitigation and discipline algorithms which extend the potential accuracy
to the tens of microseconds with modern workstations and fast LANs. It
includes a dynamic server discovery scheme, so that in many cases
specific server configuration is not required. It corrects certain
errors in the NTPv3 design and implementation and includes an optional
extension mechanism.

Working Group Summary:

The NTP working group has done extensive reviews of this document, and
it reflects the consensus of the working group.

Document Quality:

This document has been reviewed by several members of the
[email-masked] mailing list and by the NTP WG chairs.

RFC Editor Note

Add a sentence to the fourth paragraph of the Introduction:

OLD:

   and other descriptions in this document apply to a particular
   implementation, they are not intended as the only way the required
   functions can be implemented.  While the NTPv3 symmetric key
   authentication scheme described in this document has been carried

NEW:

   and other descriptions in this document apply to a particular
   implementation, they are not intended as the only way the required
   functions can be implemented.  The contents of Appendix A are
   non-normative examples designed to illustrate the protocol's
   operation and are not a requirement for a conforming
   implementation, While the NTPv3 symmetric key authentication scheme
   described in this document has been carried

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg