Subject: [ntpwg] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 10:49:24 -0800

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Section 3.2 --

     The extension field includes 22 octets of padding. This field
     SHOULD be set to 0, and SHOULD be ignored by the recipient.

Why are these "SHOULD"?  Under what conditions might a sender not set
them to zero?  Under what conditions might a recipient not ignore it, and
what might it do if it doesn't ignore it?

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg