Subject: Re: [ntpwg] WGLC on NTS: Round trips for key exchange

From: Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 00:56:27 +0000

Sharon Goldberg writes:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 5:09 AM, Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Can one have reliable IPSEC if the time is unknown?
> 
> Great point, but bootstrapping is a problem for NTS as well.
> 
> If time is unknown, certificates cannot be trusted, and NTS uses
> certificates for key establishment (KE). See my other email. "NTS:
> boostrapping clients".

Yes, and this goes to having "enough" sources of time, and having proper
monitoring.

One of the key components of NTF's General Timestamp API is the "time
discontinuity counter" - a counter that increments on each time "step".
With proper logging, it becomes easier to track what's going on.  Also,
a system can maintain both relative and absolute clocks, and use this to
provide updated log timestamps in the face of changes to the absolute
timeline.

H
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Sharon Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 15:29:45 -0400