Subject: [ntpwg] Document Action: 'UDP Checksum Complement in the Network Time Protocol (NTP)' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:12:06 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'UDP Checksum Complement in the Network Time Protocol (NTP)'
  (draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-07.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer/

Technical Summary: 

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) allows clients to synchronize to a time 
server using timestamped protocol messages. To facilitate accurate 
timestamping, some implementations use hardware-based timestamping 
engines that integrate the accurate transmission time into every 
outgoing NTP packet during transmission. Since these packets are 
transported over UDP, the UDP checksum field is then updated to reflect 
this modification. This document proposes an extension field that 
includes a 2-octet Checksum Complement, allowing timestamping engines to 
reflect the checksum modification in the last 2 octets of the packet 
rather than in the UDP checksum field. 

Working Group Summary:

The document has clear working group consensus for publication, and has 
been reviewed by several WG participants since its initial adoption as a 
working group item. This document is similar to the “UDP Checksum 
Complement in OWAMP and TWAMP” (draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-05.txt) 
in the IPPM working group. The hardware aspects of the functionality 
described in this draft were implmented by Marvell.

Document Quality:
 
This document has been reviewed and revised several times during its 
development. There were no specific external expert reviews conducted. 
 
Personnel: 

Karen O'Donoghue is acting as the Document Shepherd.  Brian Haberman is 
the Responsible Area Director. 
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg