Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 7821 on UDP Checksum Complement in the Network Time Protocol (NTP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7821

        Title:      UDP Checksum Complement in the 
                    Network Time Protocol (NTP) 
        Author:     T. Mizrahi
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 26007
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7821

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7821

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) allows clients to synchronize to a
time server using timestamped protocol messages.  To facilitate
accurate timestamping, some implementations use hardware-based
timestamping engines that integrate the accurate transmission
time into every outgoing NTP packet during transmission.  Since
these packets are transported over UDP, the UDP Checksum field is
then updated to reflect this modification.  This document proposes an
extension field that includes a 2-octet Checksum Complement, allowing
timestamping engines to reflect the checksum modification in the last
2 octets of the packet rather than in the UDP Checksum field.  The
behavior defined in this document is interoperable with existing NTP
implementations.

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg