Subject: [ntpwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 13:37:28 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol REFID Updates
        Authors         : Harlan Stenn
                          Sharon Goldberg
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2016-11-13

Abstract:
   RFC 5905 [RFC5905], section 7.3, "Packet Header Variables", defines
   the value of the REFID, the system peer for the responding host.  In
   the past, for IPv4 associations the IPv4 address is used, and for
   IPv6 associations the first four octets of the MD5 hash of the IPv6
   are used.  There are at least three shortcomings to this approach,
   and this proposal will address the three so noted.  One is that
   knowledge of the system peer is "abusable" information and should not
   be generally available.  The second is that the four octet hash of
   the IPv6 address looks very much like an IPv4 address, and this is
   confusing.  The third is that a growing number of low-stratum servers
   want to offer leap-smeared time to their clients, and there is no
   obvious way to know if a server is offering accurate time or leap-
   smeared time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg