Subject: [Ntp] Review of the YANG data model for NTP

From: "Dieter Sibold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:43:11 +0100

Dear all,

This is a reminder that we are still waiting for further reviews of the 
draft „draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model“. Please do no hesitate to 
review even if you are not familiar with YANG. In this case please focus 
on completeness of configuration parameters, and state and statistical 
information.
Thanks for the comments received so far.

Dieter

---

From: Hal Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 15:11:55 -0800

It's 50 pages.  I hope you aren't surprised that you aren't getting a lot of 
detailed feedback.

I don't know anything about YANG so I'm missing the big picture of what this 
is trying to accomplish and/or why I should be interested.  I am familiar with 
some NTP implementation.  I work on ntpsec.

It looks good if that is what you want.  I can't say anything about 
completeness.

Some/many of the counters are using a type of counter32.  We changed a few 
counters to 64 bits because we got a report that 32 bits had overflowed.

We dropped mode 7 (ntpdc)  which had a lot of binary encodings and 
reimplemented the functionally we wanted in mode 6 (ntpq) which is mostly 
text.  If numbers are sent as text the 32/64 doesn't matter.

I think there will always be corner cases on some of the slots where the fine 
print in the description will be "look at the code".  If a received packet 
fails authentication, does it get counted with the target association?  Was it 
a damaged packet for that association or an attempted forgery?

I think an important section would be how to keep things up to date and/or how 
to accommodate new features.  (I didn't find that section but I could easily 
have overlooked it.)  The obvious example is counters for NTS.
 
--------

Is state singular or plural?

  information about running state
  Operational State is included
  the operational state also include

I expected a "the" on the first one, and "includes" on the last one.  The 
middle looks right to me.

-- 
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.