Subject: [Ntp] Updated Chronos Draft

From: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 14:00:21 +0300

Hi,

A new version of this draft was recently posted:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-chronos-00

The most notable feedback about previous versions of the document was that
while Chronos mitigates security threats it may compromise the precision,
as the client may often change the set of servers it synchronizes to.

The current version of the draft is aimed at addressing this issue by
presenting Chronos as a process that runs in the background, in parallel to
the conventional NTP selection algorithm. Only when there is a suspicion of
a security attack (which is detected by the Chronos watchdog) does Chronos
kick in and the client uses Chronos' more secure (but less precise)
selection process.

We believe that this new approach is a more secure scheme than the
conventional NTP without compromising the precision when the system
functions correctly (i.e., no attacks and no errors).
Experimental evaluation of this approach is in progress.

Feedback about the new version of the draft will be most welcome.

Cheers,
Tal.