Subject: [nvo3] New Non-WG Mailing List: nvo3 -- L2 "Network Virtualization Over l3" overlay discussion list (nvo3)

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nvo3/current/maillist.html
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3

Purpose: This list is to discuss potential IETF work related to providing L2
network virtualization service over an L3 overlay network.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:03:34 -0400

A new mailing list has been set up to explore possible IETF work in
the area of providing L2 network virtualization service over an L3
(IP) overlay network.

As background, there are a number of drafts that relate to this area,
including:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mahalingam-dutt-dcops-vxlan-00
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sridharan-virtualization-nvgre-00
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dcops-l3-vmmobility-00

I've put together a first-cut at a problem statement that focuses on
the issues and potential work areas, without getting into solution
specifics.  See:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-00.txt
    
There have also been some related vendor announcements and
presentations as well (these are ones I happen to know of, there are
surely others). For example:

     http://blogs.cisco.com/datacenter/introducing-vxlan/

     http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9902/white_paper_c11-685115.html

     http://blogs.vmware.com/console/2011/08/towards-virtualized-networking-for-the-cloud.html
     
     http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/SAC-442T

The list is called nvo3, for "Network Virtualization Over L3", aka
N-Vee-Oh-3 (we'll see how well that acronym sticks...).

I've put in a formal request to hold a BOF in Taipai, so we can
explore whether it makes sense to form a WG in this area.

Subscription information for the mailing list can be found at

I look forward to your participation!

Thomas