Subject: [nvo3] FW: I-D Action: draft-kumar-nvo3-overlay-ping-00.txt

From: "Nagendra Kumar Nainar (naikumar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 23:40:47 +0000

Hi,

Below is the draft we published on NVO3 path ping. Please read the same
and share your comments.

Thanks,
Nagendra

>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>
>
>	Title           : Detecting NVO3 Overlay Data Plane failures
>	Author(s)       : Nagendra Kumar
>                          Carlos Pignataro
>                          Dhananjaya Rao
>	Filename        : draft-kumar-nvo3-overlay-ping-00.txt
>	Pages           : 14
>	Date            : 2013-07-15
>
>Abstract:
>   This document describes a simple and efficient mechanism to perform
>   L2 or L3 VN Context validation and to detect any data plane failures
>   in IPv4 or IPv6 based overlay network providing L2 or L3 virtualized
>   network.
>
>
>The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kumar-nvo3-overlay-ping
>
>There's also a htmlized version available at:
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kumar-nvo3-overlay-ping-00
>
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Lizhong Jin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 10:15:09 +0800

Hi Nagendra,
I read the draft, and have some questions:
1. the NVO3 ping uses 3503 as the destination port, then the transport path
of NVO3 Ping would be different with NVO3 tunnel (I am referring to VXLAN
tunnel), which means NVO3 ping could not detect the NVO3 tunnel dataplane
failure. Do you want to only detect the IP layer failure for the overlay
network?
2. The purpose of this draft is to validate the L2/L3 VN context. But as my
understanding, you could only detect the existence of the L2/L3 VN context.
The validation of L2/L3 VN context would not only include the existence of
the entry, but also include the correctness of the output. 
Maybe I have missed something important in the draft. 

Regards
Lizhong

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nagendra Kumar Nainar (naikumar) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 2013年12月4日 7:41
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)
> Subject: [nvo3] FW: I-D Action: draft-kumar-nvo3-overlay-ping-00.txt
> 
> Hi,
> 
> >Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
> >ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>

---

From: "Nagendra Kumar Nainar (naikumar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:53:26 +0000

Hi Lizhong,

Thanks for your time. Please see inline..

>failure. Do you want to only detect the IP layer failure for the overlay
<Nagendra> You are right that the NVO3 ping uses a different destination
port. But it also provides a way to perform ECMP pat validation. So when
there are multiple paths between the ingress/egress, it provides a way to
validate all paths.

>Maybe I have missed something important in the draft.
<Nagendra> This is an initial draft where we just mentioned the L2/L3 VN
ID. It not only provides a way to check the presence of the VN but can be
extended to carry relevant information like MAC that can be used by the
egress to perform the validation. We will include the details and TLV in
future version.

Please let me know if this answers your query.

Thanks,
Nagendra

---

From: "Lizhong Jin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:12:51 +0800

> >1. the NVO3 ping uses 3503 as the destination port, then the transport
> >path of NVO3 Ping would be different with NVO3 tunnel (I am referring
> >to VXLAN tunnel), which means NVO3 ping could not detect the NVO3
> >tunnel dataplane failure. Do you want to only detect the IP layer
> >failure for the overlay network?
[Lizhong] It would be better if NVO3 tunnel could be verified. And I believe
NVO3 would require the tool to achieve that.

> 
> >2. The purpose of this draft is to validate the L2/L3 VN context. But
> >as my understanding, you could only detect the existence of the L2/L3
> >VN context.
> >The validation of L2/L3 VN context would not only include the existence
> >of the entry, but also include the correctness of the output.
ID.
> It not only provides a way to check the presence of the VN but can be
future
> version.
[Lizhong] I mean you could not check the dataplane validation of L2/L3 VN
entry. I am not sure if it is useful for such validation.

> Please let me know if this answers your query.

Thanks
Lizhong

> >> Below is the draft we published on NVO3 path ping. Please read the
> >> same and share your comments.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Nagendra
> >>
> >>
> >> >

---

From: "Nagendra Kumar Nainar (naikumar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 14:04:23 +0000

Hi Lizhong,

Apologies for the delay. I missed the email as it got landed up in
different folder. Please see below,

[Lizhong] It would be better if NVO3 tunnel could be verified. And I
believe
NVO3 would require the tool to achieve that.
<Nagendra>Am I assuming right that you intend to perform some validation
at the terminating point (endpoint) with VXLAN (or NVGRE) header in such
ping packet?. I am working on submitting a new version. I will consider
this after discussing with other authors.

Please let me know if my above assumption on your query is different.

[Lizhong] I mean you could not check the dataplane validation of L2/L3 VN
entry. I am not sure if it is useful for such validation.
<Nagendra> I believe this would be equivalent to current validation
machinery in MPLS (or other overlay based) network. Per my understanding,
L2/L3 VN end point may be in different domains (multi tenant scenarios)
where the NVE and the actual VN endpoints will be different domains and we
don't need to leak any ping packets to the VN end points.

But I think it is a good point to mention for clarity.

Once again Thanks for your comments and happy to discuss more on the same.

Thanks,
Nagendra