Subject: [nvo3] I have a WG policy question

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:16:34 -0800

At one point I asked the chairs about when it was the right time to talk about solutions to NVo3's requirements and problem statements. At that time, the working group was at a stage where it was not ready to talk about solutions.

I have seen from recent drafts that solutions have been referenced and proposals are coming out. Has that policy changed? And are we at a more advanced stage now?

And if so, here is a set of questions:

(1) Has there been a list of solutions that is allowed to be referenced and others that are not?

(2) Is the intention to be exhaustive or practically complete?

(3) Will the working group have their own solution independent of other solutions that are already in RFC or Internet Draft form?

Thanks,
Dino

---

From: "Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:49:20 +0000

Dino

It¹s fine to discuss solutions, indeed we need to discuss solutions and
how they meet the requirements and fit with the architecture as input to
the gap analysis draft. However, we are not yet in a position to adopt any
particular solution until we are rechartered to allow this.

We¹ve prioritised meeting time in the past to ensure that we have
sufficient time to cover the requirements / framework drafts, first.

The gap analysis draft is intended to provide sufficient information for
us to make a choice as to which solutions (if any) we want to take further.

Solutions may exist in other working groups or already standardised.
However, the gap analysis may identify requirements that are not satisfied
by existing protocols. In that case, we may need to develop extensions to
existing protocols in the WGs that own those protocols, or if there is no
obvious existing home we may take them on in NVO3.

Matthew

On 16/02/2014 20:16, "Dino Farinacci" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>At one point I asked the chairs about when it was the right time to talk
>about solutions to NVo3's requirements and problem statements. At that
>time, the working group was at a stage where it was not ready to talk
>about solutions.
>
>I have seen from recent drafts that solutions have been referenced and
>proposals are coming out. Has that policy changed? And are we at a more
>advanced stage now?
>
>(3) Will the working group have their own solution independent of other
>solutions that are already in RFC or Internet Draft form?
>
>Thanks,
>Dino
>_______________________________________________
>nvo3 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 07:21:40 -0800

Thanks for the reply Matthew.

Dino